Senior Database Administrator (DBA) - Microsoft SQL Server
The Senior Database Administrator (Sr. DBA) is responsible for the health and stability of all Company Microsoft SQL Databases. The Sr. DBA supports the activities of the IT staff for specific applications by providing in-depth consulting to all levels of the development team, and IT personnel. The Sr. DBA works to establish and maintain a very high level of user trust and confidence towards IT's responsiveness to user's needs. He\She must be able to work in a fast paced, focused environment with a confidence that compliments technical capability.
The Sr. DBA resolves all database-related issues and works closely with the Development, Project Management and Infrastructure staff. This includes the identification and resolution of information flow, content issues, and the transformation of business requirements into database definitions. The Sr. DBA is required to work successfully with individuals of varying technical levels in a high-pressure and complex environment.
The Sr. DBA performs database design reviews managing towards best practices and standards and may help develop detailed logical data models. The Sr. DBA must have the ability to architect, design, install, and configure large, complex databases with replication and high-availability on several MS-SQL versions. Support activities include analyzing, testing, and implementing physical database designs to support various business applications. Familiarity with Hardware and Operating Systems is needed to complete this job function.
He\She must be familiar with Microsoft SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS database support systems as well as posses version upgrade experience (SQL 2005 to 2012). Experience with design and performance tuning of VLDB's outside of a data warehouse environment is expected. Must be able to guide and consult in the construction of ETL and Data Warehouse using the Microsoft tool suite. A BI expert is not necessary.
The Sr. DBA should possess the following education and experience:
The Sr. DBA should have a four-year (or higher) degree from an accredited university. Eight or more of years of Information Technology experience are a requirement, with four or more years experience with MS-SQL Server on a Windows platform.
The Sr. DBA should possess the following skills:
• Excellent written and oral communications skills
• Proficient SQL scripting skills including stored procedure, functions, and ddl
• Mid-level knowledge of Windows O/S systems administration tasks
• Mid-level knowledge of Hardware in general, and hardware knowledge as it pertains to SQL Server installations
• Display a good understanding of both the RDBMS and the underlying operating system including but not limited to:
• Database performance tuning, replication, monitoring tools and tuning procedures
• Strong database management skills including backup and recovery best practices in a high-availability environment.
• Solid skills in productivity factors and the ability to understand impact of problem on overall database performance
• Knowledge of fault detection and resolution processes
• Strong skills in maintenance tools and best practices processes.
• Ability to work well with customers of varying levels of technical expertise
• Successful experience as a member of a project group
• Demonstrated initiative, good judgment, and the ability to work in a team
• Ability to independently provide time estimates for database related tasks
• Data modeling, data entity analysis, and database design skills may be required
• Use of a data modeling tool such as Erwin, ER/Studio or Designer/2000 a plus
sologig - 2 years ago