SQL Server Developer
The primary purpose of the SQL Server Developer is to work with SQL Server 2005/2008/2012 (TSQL) to create and develop code for Cardinal Innovations Healthcare Solutions (“Cardinal Innovations”). This position is to develop database systems solutions and associated technical services designed to support Cardinal Innovations’ business objectives through data analysis, modelling, and management. Candidates must be technically proficient and possess good interpersonal, troubleshooting, and documentation skills.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop standards and guidelines to guide the use and acquisition of software and to protect vulnerable information.
- Modify existing databases and database management systems or direct programmers and analysts to make changes.
- Test programs or databases, correct errors and make necessary modifications.
- Plan, coordinate and implement security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Approve, schedule, plan, and supervise the installation and testing of new products and improvements to computer systems such as the installation of new databases.
- Train users and answer questions where needed.
- Establish and calculate optimum values for database parameters, using manuals and calculator.
- Specify users and user access levels for each segment of database.
- Develop data model describing data elements and how they are used, following procedures and using pen, template or computer software.
- Develop methods for integrating different products so they work properly together, such as customizing commercial databases to fit specific needs.
- Review project requests describing database user needs to estimate time and cost required to accomplish project.
- Review procedures in database management system manuals for making changes to database.
- Work as part of a project team to coordinate database development and determine project scope and limitations.
- Select and enter codes to monitor database performance and to create production database.
- Identify and evaluate industry trends in database systems to serve as a source of information and advice for Senior DBA and/or upper management.
- Write and code logical and physical database descriptions and specify identifiers of database to management system or direct others in coding descriptions.
- Review workflow charts developed by programmer or business analyst to understand tasks computer will perform, such as updating records.
- Revise company definition of data as defined in data dictionary.
- Participates in continuing educational opportunities and/or certification tracks related to the job as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills and Education
- Experience working with SQL Server 2005 and/or SQL2008
- Experience designing databases and writing SQL scripts
- Structured programming skills - object oriented design knowledge is a plus
- Experience with writing SQL modules (stored procedures and functions)
- Knowledge of relational data structures and designs
- Knowledge of ancillary SQL modules (SSRS, SSAS, SSIS) is a huge plus
- Strong TSQL code debugging skills
- Code documentation/minor technical writing – mostly Visio flowcharting
- Excellent prioritization and organization skills
- Strong self-initiative
- Clear communication and team work ability
- Strong sense of resourcefulness and taking initiative without direction - ability to work well independently
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or Information Management preferred
- Certifications/Technical Training are a plus
- At least 3 – 5 years of experience coding TSQL to support front-end applications
This is an office-based position which primarily occurs during normal/standard business hours.
Cardinal Innovations are North Carolina’s largest Managed Care Organization providing Medicaid managed care and state-funded behavioral health plans. Our mission is to enhance the health and well-being of individuals and their families by creating and managing quality healthcare solutions for those who depend on the public system for care. Our plans reflect the uniqueness of our local communities and are capable of making continual adjustments and improvements to meet the changing needs and priorities of our clients. Cardinal Innovations value the contribution of all stakeholders, and our businesses are based on the principles of respect, collaboration, and mutual accountability.
Cardinal Innovations are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visit our website at www.cardinalinnovations.org to view all vacant positions and apply on line.