The UCSF Neurodegenerative Disease Brain Bank (NDBB) houses a critical resource for researchers studying neurodegenerative disease. The NDBB performs research-based, comprehensive brain autopsies on patients dying of neurodegenerative disease and works with collaborating researchers to support their studies. A qualified individual is needed to support research conducted on the pathology neurodegenerative disease and the activities of the NDBB. The incumbent’s core duties will involve meeting laboratory needs by coordinating workflow between neuropathologists, histologist, diener, autopsy coordinator, and histology technician; orchestrating responses to tissue sharing requests and collaborations by communicating with PI and requestors, identifying suitable materials, preparing tissue for shipping, and shipping; establishing and maintaining SOPs for various procedures (1st and 2nd brain cutting, decontamination, neuropathology work flow, organization of photos); independently using stereological cell counting and neuron tracing software as part of ongoing quantitative neuropathological experiments; working with information technology team to further develop pathology database-in-development. The incumbent will perform other duties as assigned. |
• BA/BS with a degree in a neuroscience, biology, psychology, or closely related field and two or more years of recent, directly related work experience following degree completion, utilizing the techniques or methods required by the position and demonstrating technical expertise in these areas; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
• Three-five years’ experience in related research;
• Experience operating laboratory equipment;
• Sufficient proficiency in human neuroanatomy, histology, and pathology to perform routine duties;
• Experience overseeing lab employees and maintaining lab workflow;
• Ability to troubleshoot lab equipment;
• MS Office skills, especially with database management (Access/Excel);
• Ability to work independently and proven analytical ability;
• Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
• Attention to detail and follow-through in a multi-tasking environment with competing priorities
Physical Demands: requires sitting, standing, walking, squatting, bending, waist twisting, kneeling, crawling, climbing stairs, reaching shoulder height and below, lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling up to 20 lbs., lifting up to 10 lbs. overhead/above/below waist, fine finger manipulation, gross manipulation, simple/power grasp, repetitive hand/arm use; tolerance to dust, fumes or gases, chemicals or toxic substances, latex; ability to differentiate color, operating motor vehicles, use of protective equipment.
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required.
• Familiarity with advanced histological and quantitative neuropathological methods or brain banking
University of California San Francisco - 22 months ago