This position exists primarily for the purpose of developing internal store manager bench from the assistant store manager population, although external candidates will also be in the program. It is a position to be used to give store manager candidates more experience prior to becoming a store manager, and is to be held for a specified period.
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in recruiting and staffing activities.
- Assist with store merchandising by facilitating and/or participating in staging, stocking and storage of merchandise; ensuring that merchandise is presented according to established practices and store manager direction; and properly utilizing merchandise fixtures, signing and pricing of merchandise.
- Assist in all aspects of inventory management (including proper execution of damages, markdowns, register scanning, paperwork and facility controls); prepare and conduct inventories.
- Follow prescribed ordering practices to ensure the meeting or exceeding of in-stock targets.
- Provide superior customer service leadership.
- Act as a role model by following company procedures and policies as outlined in the employee handbook, SOP manual and company communications.
- Participate in store opening and closing activities.
- Ensure the safe deposit of all company funds in the designated bank.
- Assist in ensuring the financial integrity of the store through strict cashier accountability, key control and adherence to company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Assist in the maintenance of clean, well-stocked stores; provide a safe environment for customers and employees.
- Manage store in store manager’s absence.
- Review operating statements to identify business trends (including sales, labor, profitability, and inventory turn), expense control opportunities, potential shrink, and errors.
- Complete all paperwork and documentation according to guidelines and deadlines.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit controls.
- Ability to learn and perform IBM cash register functions, including those necessary to generate reports.
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE and STARS programs, etc.)
- Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling, and termination practices including legal compliance and internal processes.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Effective organization skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations where limited standardization exists.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred.
- One year of experience in a retail environment preferred for external candidates; four months experience as a Dollar General assistant store manager required for internal candidates.
- Aligns motives, values and beliefs with Dollar General values.
- Supports ownership by tapping into the potential of others.
- Acts as a liaison between the Store Support Center and store employees.
- Fosters cooperation and collaboration.
- Interacts tactfully yet directly with employees and maintains an open forum of exchange.
- Demonstrates responsiveness and sensitivity to customer needs.
- Applies basic principles of retail (i.e., ordering cycles, peak inventories, merchandise flow, etc.)
- Provides continuous attention to development of staff.
- Recruits, hires and trains qualified applicants to fulfill a store need.
- Ensures store compliance to federal labor laws and company policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequent walking and standing.
- Frequent bending, stooping and kneeling to run check out station, stock merchandise and unload trucks.
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as hand-held scanners pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers and carts, two-wheel dollies, and U-boats (six-wheel carts).
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds.
- Occasional climbing (using ladder).
- Occasional driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits, attend management meetings and to other Dollar General stores.
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
Note: This position requires some travel with limited overnight stays
Dollar General - 10 months ago
copy to clipboard
Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping for...