: Anticipates the needs of the surgical team. Establishes and maintains sterile field during surgical procedures in the operating room.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to OR Manager/Administrator
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
1. Ensures sterility of all supplies and instruments during set up of surgical procedures. 2. Assists circulating nurse and surgical team in maintaining sterile environment.
3. Assists circulating nurse in gathering necessary surgical supplies and equipment. Is responsible for doing sponge, needle, and instrument count pre-operatively and intra-operative with the circulating nurse.
4. Gowns and gloves surgeons and assistants.
5. Assists in keeping physician preference cards accurate/updated.
6. Retains all specimens to be sent to pathology, confirming source/name of specimen with surgeon.
7. Transports all surgical equipment to appropriate cleaning areas. Assists in sterile supply with cleaning and reprocessing of instrument sets.
8. Interacts appropriately and effectively with all patients/others regardless of age or ethnic background.
9. Uses Standard Universal Precautions, appropriate hand hygiene, personal protective equipment, and safe practices to ensure personal safety and a safe environment.
10. Assists with environmental hazard and infection control surveillance and participates in emergency preparedness drills.
11. Follows all equipment and safety guidelines and is responsible for knowledgeable use and care of equipment.
12. Serves as a resource to other members of the health care team.
13. Attends inservices, conferences, and meetings as required.
14. Communicates effectively and courteously with visitors, physicians, and their office staffs, patients, and employees. Maintains patient, physician, and employee privacy and confidentiality per policy.
15. Maintains designated certifications such as CPR, as offered by the center.
16. Acts in accordance with the vision, mission, and business philosophy of the Center. 17. Complies with Policies and Procedures, and adheres to safety guidelines to ensure a safe work and patient care environment.
18. Complies with USPI's disruptive behavior policy.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual shall be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: High School Diploma / GED; completion of a Scrub Technician Program. Certification preferable. Three years experience as a Scrub Tech in multiple specialties or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Reasoning Ability: Able to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Able to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. Other skills and abilities: General familiarity with medical terminology as it pertains to anatomy and surgical procedures for an operating room.
Physical demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that shall be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk, and hear. The employee shall regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and /or move up to 100 pounds. USPI’S EDGE™ (Every Day Giving Excellence) USPI’S EDGE™ is the key to the differentiation of USPI as a customer-focused company. The process of completing EDGE™ requirements establishes processes and measurements that are collected, assimilated, and shared throughout USPI. All employees are involved with EDGE™. The involvement can range from doing their jobs to taking on the role of gathering and/or entering data into the computer. All employees shall at some time during their employment be required to participate in the EDGE™ program. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 Responsible for knowing the processes involved assuring the standards established by HIPAA, and ensuring they are followed including the practices and records relating to the use and disclosure of Protected Health Information. Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold, and the risk of radiation. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, and the risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.