SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Safety Manager is responsible for providing professional knowledge and expertise in the administration and support of environmental health and safety programs for the ShurTech Brands facilities. This includes ensuring compliance with regulatory agency guidelines and company policies, providing technical support, developing training materials, and directly supporting OSHA programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides primary input into researching, defining, developing and communicating corporate safety policy to management, employees, customers, vendors, regulators, and the general public with prior approval of EHS director
- Develops Lock Out/Tag Out Descriptions for all pieces of equipment at ShurTech; provides ShurTech Personnel with a plan to quickly and safely lock out a piece of equipment; provides a benefit by decreasing the amount of time required to lock out a piece of equipment; all lock out/tag out development will be strictly in accordance with OSHA Regulations and ANSI standards
- Conducts mandated EHS reviews for all equipment and evaluates facility operations, process modifications, equipment relocations, material changes or introductions for safety and health impacts. Includes identification of equipment installation, start-up, specifications/design and work procedure development
- Maintains working knowledge of new state and federal OSHA requirements including regulatory changes, engineering controls and prevention techniques related to safety. Keeps all levels of management informed of such changes and maintains a safety library for quick references
- Develops and implements training and educational programs and policies for all company employees on all safety and health issues to insure compliance with all applicable OSHA regulations; the goals shall be voluntary compliance along with accident, injury, and illness prevention
- Develops and maintains effective management systems to ensure compliance of Hazard Communication Issues (Chemical Inventories, MSDS files)
- Directly assists in all equipment pre-start audits to assure adequate safe operating conditions exist before equipment is formally commissioned
- Assists with development and implementation of effective emergency action plans for each facility; assists with the development and implementation of effective HAZWOPR training for each facility
- Maintains injury and illness statistics for all plants, communicating them to business teams in a timely and understandable manner; provides annual statistics to Department of Labor
- Works with the Plant nurse, Human Resources, and Corporate Risk management to assist in worker’s compensation cost containment; acts as an advocate for each plant in dealings with the Worker’s Compensation insurance provider or safety and health consultants
- Performs formal and informal safety and health audits. Provides training to auditors and develops action plans for review with management team. This includes ensuring that individual plants provide necessary resources to make Plant Safety Audit Program a success
- Develops active and effective safety committees in the areas and on the shifts sanctioned by the appropriate managers. Provides leadership, support, guidance and training to those committee members to develop actions that improve safety performance. Develops and executes an auditing process for assuring committee effectiveness
- Develops and implements effective incident reviews for all OSHA recordable incidents, including lost-time or restricted duty type injuries, in each plant; works with each plant to develop and implement near miss reporting and reviews; establishes and oversees these reviews such that each plant conducts their own reviews; establishes effective follow-up procedures for each plant to follow-up on review recommendations
- Develops ShurTech Electrical Safety Work Instructions; in accordance with OSHA Regulations and industry best practices, develops and implements an Electrical Safe Work Practices Standard
- Develops specific confined space descriptions for all locations determined to be Confined Spaces; provides ShurTech personnel with an equipment specific confined space plan that allows shift supervisors to have a work instruction that describes the precautions that must be taken along with all equipment that is needed; with trained associates and a “check list” type specific plan, confined space entries will become routine, safe, and fast; this will equate into less time taken preparing for the preparation and actual entry
- Actively participates in development of machine guarding solutions including design and project integration
- Provides needed assistance at the plant level to assure implementation of safe work practices and adherence to OSHA requirements through active participation in Plant Safety committees in conjunction with direct interaction and work with facility personnel to achieve goals; this shall include, but is not limited to, assisting with development & maintenance of Job Safety Analyses at the team level and other safe work procedures; assists with Near Miss and Incident investigation to determine root cause and develop solutions in conjunction with plant management team
- Assists in the identification, understanding, and implementation of work practices, training, equipment modifications, and auditing of processes to assure compliance with the applicable OSHA & Safe Work Practice standards applicable to the company; conducts industrial hygiene sampling activities to determine work place exposure levels
- Manages the record keeping activities for all OSHA & Safe Work Practice regulatory compliance programs, which may include Radiation, HAZCOM, HAZWOPR, HAZMAT, DOT, Industrial Fork Truck, Incident/Illness/Near Miss reporting
- Develops and implements work practices that will assure compliance, including worker training, safe work practices, etc.
- Develops and maintains effective record keeping programs for support of all EHS programs; this shall include the effective use of hard copy records and electronic records including the development and use of databases and spreadsheets
- Assists with any regulatory agency audits
- Works with outside vendors, contractors, consultants, etc.
- Accepts and completes additional assignments as directed by the President or the EHS Director
ShurTech Brands, LLC, markets and manufactures do-it-yourself tapes under the Duck®, Painter's Mate Green®, Caremail®,...