The Safety Specialist will be responsible for assisting in the development of projects and programs to protect people, processes, products, and the environment from exposures to injury, risk or economic loss. The Safety Specialist will assist in identification, analysis and control of occupational hazards requiring the application of professional knowledge, skills, and abilities and supporting a continuous improvement environment.
This position supports the site’s environmental, health and safety needs through training, auditing, program review and hazard identification. This will also include the ability to identify injury and illness prevention, hazard control and compliance with OSHA, EPA, state regulations and Spectrum Brands standards.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Model the Spectrum Brands eight Core Capabilities to achieve service excellence, meet and exceed organizational objectives and support fiscal responsibility.
- Support site needs for EH&S including identifying regulatory requirements and developing and implementing programs to ensure ongoing compliance. This may include writing procedures, development and delivery of training to site personnel, developing awareness activities and conducting environmental monitoring.
- Assist with new hire Safety orientation as needed.
- Conduct program and policy reviews and provide recommendations for program improvements.
- Lead continuous improvement Safety projects as assigned
- Support a consistent Safety message at all levels of the organization through interaction with hourly employees up through Management and Corporate levels.
- Process knowledge and the ability to identify hazardous workplace conditions related to such programs as PPE, confined space, hazardous communication, machine guarding, powered industrial trucks, LOTO, industrial hygiene and hearing conservation.
- Working knowledge of emergency preparedness programs.
- Identification and participation in waste reduction projects.
- Ability to provide technical support in incident investigations to evaluate problems, determine root causes, and provide corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Minimize hazardous conditions from human error, equipment and machine operations, which may lead to human injury and/or property damage through Elimination, Engineering, Administrative and/or Personal Protective Equipment control measures.
- Prepare facility safety metrics and corporate reports as assigned.
- Significant travel to plant locations (greater than 50%).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Passion for Safety and Health.
- Intermediate knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Strong communication skills in both written and verbal form.
- Strong problem solving skills to analyze employee and department problems.
- Strong organizational skills to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Able to get along with a variety of people at different levels of the organization.
- Able to work independently.
- Proactive, assertive and work with a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to safety and corporate citizenship.
- Knowledge of safety regulatory requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Safety, Environmental Sciences, Safety Management or related field required.
- 3-5 years of prior safety and health experience required.
And you will know them by their trail of brands. Spectrum Brands makes and markets products sold under some of the most recognizable names...