Henkels & McCoy, Inc., one of the largest privately held engineering, network development and construction firms serving the communications, information technology, and utility industries, is currently seeking a Safety Supervisor for power transmission line and other construction work for its Pomona, California, office location. Specific work assignments will require work throughout the Los Angeles/Southern California region.
Under direction of the Regional Safety Manager, the Safety Supervisor will assist in monitoring and coordinating company safety programs and resources in the area assigned. This would include supervising assigned Safety Coordinators and Specialists, conducting safety work site observations and documentation, participating in Incident Analysis, conducting safety training, managing OSHA Regulatory citations and appeals, acting as liaison with all outside agencies to include customers and government agencies regarding safety issues, developing and managing annual fiscal year budgets encompassing supplies, tools, equipment, vehicles, salaries, etc., and conducting annual performance reviews of assigned safety personnel.
Major Job Elements
The Safety Supervisor will
- Supervise assigned safety coordinators
- Perform regular safety training sessions and hold toolbox talks with crews at show ups or on job sites.
- Perform regular jobsite inspections of all crews to identify unsafe conditions and unsafe work practices, documenting the visits on Henkels & McCoy Worksite Observation forms and forwarding to various management and administrative personnel.
- Coordinate supplemental inspections whenever new processes, equipment, or substances are introduced or new or previously unrecognized hazards are identified.
- Help complete project safety preplans and hazard analysis with managers, supervisors, and foremen for new jobs.
- Verify that corrective measures are completed in a timely fashion for any hazards identified.
- Verify completion of safety recommendations of the safety committee, insurance carrier, or other safety consultants.
- Investigate injuries and illnesses to determine cause and take action(s) to prevent recurrence.
- Ensure compliance with the Hazards Communication Program, Emergency Action Plan, Fire Prevention Plan, Confined Space Entry Program, Trenching and Excavation Program, and any other programs required by OSHA and the Corporate Safety, Health and Environment Department.
- Submit weekly status reports specifying projects completed during the week.
- Ensure that adequate first aid supplies and fire extinguishers are maintained on company vehicles and equipment.
- Enforce all company safety rules. Work with managers and supervisors to apply the proper company disciplinary procedures for those employees who violate safety rules.
- Assist with the Region Drug Testing Program assuring Henkels & McCoy complies with DOT requirements.
- Assist with Regional Safety Awards Program including promoting it in the field to the employees.
- Manage Safety Budget
- Perform annual personnel evaluations
- Conduct Work Site Observations
- Review Weekly Safety Status Reports from subordinates
- Work with Line of Business Directors on Safety Action Plans
- Report safety performance levels to Regional Safety Manager
- Manage small fleet of vehicles, safety supplies, and computer assets
- Conduct Safety Training, i.e., CPR/1st Aid/Competent Person/OSHA Courses/Job Briefing Procedures, etc.
- Background in power transmission & distribution construction or systems management preferred
- 3 or more years experience as a safety professional in the construction and/or general industry trades preferred
- Possession of a Certified Safety & Health Professional Certificate or acceptable credential preferred
- Experience with utility safety standards - 1910.268/269 and 1926 Subpart V preferred
- Possession of a valid drivers license required
- Ability to lift 50 lbs, stand for extended periods of time, and be capable of extended work hours required
- Experience in safety-related duties with understanding of OSHA standards required.
- Possession of OSHA Instructor Outreach Trainer experience and be current in qualification preferred
- Skills at user level with computer programs such as Word, Excel, and Power Point required
- Must be willing to travel
Henkels & McCoy, Inc is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
Henkels & McCoy - 16 months ago
When utilities, communications companies, or governments need the real McCoy to install or repair their transmission networks, they can call...