The Safety Professional at Henkels & McCoy serves in a dual role; where the initial objective is to operate in a consultative capacity, by providing expert support, guidance, and motivation to operations management and employees at all levels. In addition, along with management, the Safety Professional at H&M is expected to be a “hands on” partner in delivering various safety initiatives and programs specifically to develop a safety culture supporting the goal and daily mission that “Nobody Gets Hurt” in the course of any work performed by H&M. This position is located in Salem, IL.
- To provide operations management with effective safety coaching, counseling and advice, ensuring H&M operations management delivers a safe and efficient work environment for all employees, customers and the public (COACHING and CONSULTING).
- Provides specific safety training, education and related programs for operations management to use and implement in the course of completing work (EDUCATION, TRAINING and PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT).
- Acts as a “safety” motivator for management and employees alike, ensuring safety remains an active part of the work and the culture at H&M (MOTIVATION).
- Provides “safety” subject matter expertise, ensuring the most relevant and effective safety practices are used and implemented in the course of delivering work at H&M (SAFETY SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT).
- Travel to multiple projects throughout the Midwest and provide support to different operation unit’s.
- Implement the Safety System’s for new project start up’s.
Major Job Elements
Coaching and Consulting
- Ability to proactively assess the “safety climate” via observations, audit trend analysis, investigation key learning’s, etc. Communicate and make appropriate recommendations to line management for needed work process improvements or corrective actions.
- Ability to lead task teams and interact effectively with diverse people from various functions, levels and backgrounds.
- Ability to work effectively, professionally and respectfully in a team-based environment as a team leader and team member and to promote respectful interaction to others with whom the position interacts.
- Produce a quality and quantity of work consistent with the needs of the work team.
Education, Training and Program Development
- Ability to lead organizational change to continuously improve OS&H work processes, systems and programs and to attain organizational goals and objectives for OS&H performance and compliance.
- Effective oral presentation, report writing, and other written communication skills. Skills in operation of office and data based computer software (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Ability to create a climate for people to do their best.
- Motivate many kinds of team and project members.
- Assess personal needs and use it to get the best result out of another person.
- Empower others to take charge of their own actions.
- Make others feel their work is important.
Safety Subject Matter Expert
- Advanced comprehensive Safety and Occupational Health knowledge of H&M internal policies, procedures and processes and OSHA 1910 and 1926 regulations.
- Ability to assess work place hazards, determine the risks and provide solutions in an efficient, timely and cost effective manner.
- Ability to work independently (self-managed with the ability to set goals and objectives) and on teams (leadership and/or participation) with very little supervision.
Bachelor’s Degree in an Occupational Safety and Health discipline (e.g. OS&H Management, Industrial Hygiene, Ergonomics, Human Factors or another applicable technical field - chemistry, biology, engineering, physiology) or equivalent and relevant professional safety experience.
- A minimum of 1-3 years experience in Safety and Occupational Health disciplines. Professional certifications will be considered for purposes of substituting for experience requirements.
- Experience in the utility industry – Power distribution and Transmission preferred.
- Knowledge in applicable ANSI, EPA and OSHA Standards (29 CFR 1910, 29 CFR 1926), and other applicable standards.
- Certified Instructor in (i.e., CPR, First Aid, OSHA outreach programs, etc.)
- PC proficient (MS Office / MS Excel)
Henkels & McCoy - 8 months ago
When utilities, communications companies, or governments need the real McCoy to install or repair their transmission networks, they can call...