Macmillan Higher Education is a confederation of these unique publishing houses: Bedford/St. Martin's, W.H. Freeman & Company, Worth Publishers, and Hayden-McNeil Custom Publishing. Focusing on the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences/math, and custom publishing. Each of these three companies pursues its own publishing program independent of the others. Each boasts in its portfolio a number of landmark books, as well as innovative multimedia products, and each is known throughout the educational publishing world for superior content development and production. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Macmillan Higher Education is currently seeking a highly skilled individual to sell textbooks and educational technology products to college professors. The current opening is based in East Lansing, MI, covering two-year and four-year schools.
The Sales Representative position requires initiating daily personal on-campus sales calls with Professors and/or with appropriate college and university personnel. Sales calls are utilized to promote Macmillan books and media for courses in which Macmillan publishes at each campus.
· Travel to assigned accounts for the purpose of conducting personal sales interviews.
· Preplan daily schedule of sales calls for each day on campus.
· Develop and execute selling techniques that enhance the ability to effectively promote Macmillan books and media.
· Develop ongoing itineraries to increase sales production within the assigned territories.
· Send books and media to prospective customers in the territory while tracking sales opportunities within a customer relationship management system.
· Submit required data and reports on a timely basis.
· Service customers within the assigned territory by both responding promptly to requests and by initiating customer service and customer training.
· Communicate with regional manager and with other appropriate Macmillan personnel.
· Actively participate in professional conferences as well as sales meetings.
· Monitor operational expenses within your territory.
· Assist editorial activity as requested by appropriate personnel.
· Provide feedback on market trends, market reaction to our books as well as competitors.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
· Ability to work independently as well as part of a sales team
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to thrive in a self-starting environment
· A knowledge of and/or an interest in working in an academic environment
· Proficiency with computers and basic applications software
· Valid drivers license
· Ability to travel
· Direct sales experience or publishing experience preferred but not required. Sales aptitude is required.
Educational Background Required:
· Four year college degree
Macmillan Higher Education offers:
An excellent compensation/benefits package including:
· Comprehensive healthcare coverage
· Competitive salary
· Bonus potential
· Company car (outside sales reps)
· Opportunities for growth and development
Physical Requirements/Job Attributes: Requires periods of close concentration, must be able to multi-task, must lift 35 lbs. of books on sales calls, must be able to walk up to 2 miles a day on campus, must be able to sit/stand for long periods at conventions, must be able to concentrate in noisy/busy environment, and must be able to travel, including ability to drive for periods from 2 to 5 hours, depending upon the territory involved. A valid driver’s license is required with daily travel within territory and frequent over-night trips. Attendance at national sales meetings and regional meetings is required (5 or more days). During the fall and spring selling seasons it is necessary to work more than 40 hours per week. During these seasons it is necessary to spend all day on campus and then complete paperwork, sampling, and expense reports in the evening.
Must submit a cover letter