Connections Education is a leading, fully-accredited provider of high-quality, highly accountable virtual education solutions for students in grades K–12. Since 2001, the company’s Connections Academy division has delivered individualized learning to students through virtual public schools and a private online academy. In the 2012-2013 school year, 24 Connections Academy virtual public schools will operate in 22 states and are expected to serve more than 40,000 students from across the U.S. The Connections Learning division meets the needs of schools, school districts, and other institutions looking to develop and enhance their online learning programs. Connections Learning delivers a full range of targeted digital learning solutions to the K-12 education community including online courses, a program for homebound students, a digital learning platform, and more. More than 1000 schools, school districts, state departments of education and other educational institutions, serving tens of thousands of students throughout the United States and beyond, are already utilizing Connections Learning products and services. Connections Education is committed to expanding quality education through technology and helping students achieve both academic and personal success. For more information, call 800-382-6010 or visit www.ConnectionsEducation.com. Connections Education is part of the global learning company Pearson (NYSE: PSO).
Florida Virtual School Full Time (FLVS FT) is a tuition-free, full-time virtual school available to students in grades K–12 throughout Florida. The school is approved by the Florida Department of Education and the Florida Legislature. FLVS FT’s predecessor, Florida Connections Academy, opened in 2003 and operated a full-time K–8 program through the Florida Department of Education through the 2008–09 school year. In 2008, Florida Virtual School and Connections Academy joined forces to become Florida Virtual School Full Time (FLVS FT).
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working from the office in Orlando, Florida, the K-8 School Counselor will virtually assist students and parents/learning coaches with course selection, scheduling and will be the initial point of contact for student concerns that span multiple subject areas as well as non-academic issues. The School Counselor will become an expert on course and credit requirements and will work to establish counseling processes for elementary and middle school students. The (K-8) school counselor will also assist the 9-12 counseling program on an as needed basis.
The K-8 School Counselor will primarily be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
• Implement programs for students and families related to interpersonal adjustment issues;
• Work with school teams to identify and help families access school and community resources;
• Participate in the development of crisis prevention and management plans for the school and serve as a key member of the Student Support Team (SST);
• Coordinate a team of middle and elementary school teachers to help identify students who are “at risk” or “in crisis”; Act as the main point of contact for these students and families, communicating regularly with them;
• Report and refer critical incidents that jeopardize student well-being as obligated by law, administrative regulations, or ethical standards. Stay abreast of all state regulations relating to incident reporting and documentation;
• Assist students and parents with the secondary school course selection process according to specific state credit and graduation requirements and student needs and interests. An integral part of this process is assisting students and parents to develop a Four Year Plan for meeting graduation requirements;
• Understand the requirements for and assist the principal to facilitate the administration of all state testing, including exit exams, PSAT, SAT, ACT, and AP exams;
Support professional development activities for teachers and school staff members;
• Assume teaching and grading duties as necessary including teaching middle school elective courses;
• Other duties as assigned.
The K-8 School Counselor will assist the 9-12 counseling program on an as needed basis with the following tasks:
• Advise students and families related to academics, career planning and graduation;
• Keep abreast of all high school graduation requirements, including special requirements such as community service, and communicate this information to the High School Coordinator and to the principal;
• Advise students with issues related to dropping courses and changing schedules, seeking support as needed, while ensuring that the school’s course selection and drop policies are adhered to;
• Review student transcripts and the entry of credits into the online transcript system;
• Follow procedures to ensure that Connections Academy transcripts are accurate and up-to-date;
• Work with the administrative assistants to obtain school records from the student’s previous school (where applicable) and forwarding student records when appropriate;
Oversee and maintain the Personal Learning Plan (PLP) for each student;
• Implement efforts to secure complete and accurate records for Connections Academy students;
• Support families through the school withdrawal process, assisting with data collection regarding withdrawal;
• Assist teachers when students enroll mid-semester, making sure that teachers receive guidance on integrating the students into their coursework, and ensuring that previous grades, credits, and evaluations are handled appropriately;
• Communicate with the Curriculum Team to ensure that curriculum offerings meet state requirements;
• Coordinate high school graduation ceremonies;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Florida Professional School Counselor certification
• Must have a current valid Professional Level certificate and be highly qualified in their content area
• Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft Office products)
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Customer focused approach
• Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
• High degree of flexibility
• Team player with demonstrated leadership skills
• Demonstrated ability to work well in fast-paced environment
• Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel)
Connections Academy - 14 months ago