Organization: Minnesota Zoological Garden
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Minnesota Zoo Education Department endeavors to excite and inform people about their dynamic connections to the living earth and to foster the development of knowledge and values regarding species survival, habitat preservation, ecosystem health and biodiversity. Enthusiastic commitment to the education and conservation mission of the Minnesota Zoo is essential.
The Minnesota Zoo is offering a full-time position as a Interpretive Naturalist 2 Supervisor (School Programs Supervisor). The position will be responsible for managing the design, development, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive suite of interpretive conservation education programs for K-12 institutions, K-12 teachers, colleges and universities. These audiences represent nearly ten percent of the Zoo’s annual attendance. The position is also responsible for supervising, coaching, and developing staff, managing budgets, and monitoring progress towards program objectives as outlined in the annual and strategic plans.
Duties: As a supervisor and manager in the Minnesota Zoo Education Division, this individual will report to the Education Director and play a key role in development, implementation, and overall direction of a wide variety of conservation educational programs and activities for K-12 students and teachers.
- Supervise staff for programs that serve K-12 students and K-12 teachers primarily, other formal education audiences, and Minnesota Zoo members, community groups, children and families, and daily Zoo guests;
- Develop and manage program budgets;
- Coordinate marketing and promotion for programs;
- Lead efforts to develop creative and effective programs, along with staying current on educational trends and standards;
- Evaluate programs and staff
- Establish connections and build relationships with key decision makers in the K-12 formal education community
Hours and days of work may vary according to needs of the department.
The Minnesota Zoo School Programs seeks an Interpretive Naturalist 2 Supervisor that must have a Bachelor's degree with a major in education or closely related and a current K-12 teaching licensure AND ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
1) A minimum of one year and a half of interpretive program and curriculum development experience for K-12 audiences at a cultural institution (zoo, aquarium, museum, etc.); AND
2) A minimum of three years of experience supervising staff, and managing projects, programs, and budgets; AND
3) In-depth knowledge of current K-12 education process, teacher qualifications, standards, and testing requirements, informal science educational theory and techniques as well as methods of evaluation and assessment; AND
4) Past experience should also include tracking employee performance/employee development, effective oral and written communication, proficiency with technology, measuring and reporting program success, marketing, grant writing, and demonstrated skills for project management, creativity and effective leadership.
In order to be considered be certain your resume includes a clear description of your qualifications for all four requirements.
Job is contingent on a valid class D driver's license and background check.
Master’s Degree or higher
Knowledge or experience with STEM education
Experience with federal grant writing or management
EMPLOYMENT CONDIDITON: Permanent, Full-time
HOURS: 8:00 AM-4:30 PM
WAGE: $20.89 - $30.28/hr - $43,618 - $63,225/annually
HOW TO APPLY:
Visit the State of Minnesota Careers website at www.careers.state.mn.us
Job Posting 13MZG000060 - Interpret Naturalist Supv 2
DEADLINE TO APPLY:
April 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM
MORE INFORMATION ON THE MINNESOTA ZOO:
Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- 2 years ago - save job