Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. The Center for Functional Nanomaterials (CFN) at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is seeking candidates for a Scientific Associate I Position in the Electron Microscopy (EM) group.
Knowledge of structure and chemistry at the atomic scale is crucial to modern materials science and nanotechnology. Advanced electron microscopy can provide the fundamental knowledge that will enables us not only to understand, but also to control the physical and chemical behavior of nanostructured materials. The electron microscopy facility at the CFN focuses on identifying nanoscale structure-property relationships of energy-related materials by employing state-of-the-art instruments. We emphasize technique development that will enhance our facility capabilities for user-based science as well as research projects that we lead to further the DOE’s energy mission.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparation of samples of polymeric and soft materials for investigation by transmission electron microscopy
- Instructs the community on successful approaches for sample creation
- Evaluate, specify and instal appropriate laboratory equipment for preparation of polymeric and soft materials
- Establish laboratory methodologies for systematic sample preparation of soft and polymeric materials
- Evaluate sample quality through routine screeing
- Establish and document safe and effective laboratory approaches for these tasks.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Master’s degree in materials science, physics, biology or chemistry.
• Ten years’ experience in the preparation of biological and or polymeric / soft materials samples for transmission electron microscopy, and will utilize this knowledge to create samples for members of the CFN staff, as well as the CFN User community.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ph.D. in Materials Science, Physics, Biology or Chemistry
Environmental, Health, and Safety Requirements:
Moderate lifting (less than 30lbs) will be required at times. Compute/Keyboard work may be required. Work with organic solvents, cryogens, toxic metals and vibration is required occasionally.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Retirement Plan
• On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, apply online at www.bnl.gov and click Jobs, then click Search Job List and apply to job # 16310.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce.
Brookhaven National Laboratory - 19 months ago
It takes a lot of manpower to build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy....