Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm. Our multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, physicians, and regulatory consultants brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve complicated problems facing corporations, insurers, government entities, associations and individuals. Our approximately 900 staff members work in 25 offices across the United States and abroad. Exponent has over 600 consultants, including more than 350 that have earned a doctorate in their chosen field of specialization.
Exponent’s Human Factors engineers and scientists evaluate human performance and safety in product and system use. Our consultants study how the limitations and capabilities of people, including memory, perception, reaction time, judgment, physical size and dexterity, affect the way they use a product or participate in an activity.
We have experience in the following areas of research:
We are seeking a Scientist for our Phoenix office. The individual in this position will be responsible for analyzing human performance in a variety of settings and will apply their expertise in human factors to the analysis of accidents and injuries.
- Evaluating human performance in a wide variety of applications including: recreational sports, driving, healthcare settings, operating machinery, working in industrial settings, and interacting with various consumer products
- Applying principles of cognitive psychology (such as visual perception, attention, memory, reaction time, decision making, and auditory perception) to human behavior in real-world situations
- Analyzing the adequacy of warnings and training to shape safety-related behavior
- Identifying patterns of accidents and calculating the risk of injury for products or activities
- Conducting scientific research using large-scale databases, questionnaires, focus groups, interviews, and observations of people
- Measuring the performance of children and adults engaged in a variety of different tasks (e.g., participating in sports, using medical devices, operating vehicle controls, using various forms of safety equipment) to quantify human capabilities and responses in real-world settings
- Developing safety information to be placed on products and in manuals
Responsibilities will include:
Qualifications for this position include:
- Managing a range of consulting activities that involve human factors in accidents and their prevention, including limitations of human perceptual, cognitive, and response capabilities
- Developing client contacts
- Working on multi-disciplinary projects
- Providing case management, data processing, and other project support
- Conducting research to obtain and review technical data, scientific literature, and standards
- Participating in the design and evaluation of warnings and safety information
- Ph.D. in Cognitive, Experimental, Developmental or Social Psychology, in Industrial Engineering or in Human Factors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and statistical analysis software (MATLAB experience is also desirable but not required)
- Must be assertive, a self-starter, and able to work with accuracy under pressure and/or deadlines
- Willingness to expand present knowledge a plus
- Strong mathematical aptitude required
Our multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, physicians, and regulatory consultants brings together more than 90 different...