As a Research and Development associate in the BD Biosciences - Advanced Bioprocessing (BDAB) business you are at the center of innovation, enabling BD and its pursuit of the company's goals - "great contributions to society, great performance and a great place to work." At BDAB your career opportunities are unique as you will be exposed to diverse technologies and will work cross-functionally to expand your own knowledge as you meet and exceed business goals. At BD, we take our associates' career development seriously and empower individuals to manage their development with the support of our seasoned leaders. Come be a part of our future. For more information, please visit www.bd.com. BD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
This position is located in Baltimore, MD. The R&D Scientist I will support technology and product development projects with their technical knowledge in the area of analytical chemistry. This position supports a cross-functional team working toward the design and commercialization of new cell culture media and media supplement products. The incumbent will apply their chemistry knowledge to perform standardized assays as well as contribute to the development of new analytical chemistry assays designed to address issues in cell growth and production. In addition to responsibilities related to product development, the successful candidate will also assist in troubleshooting and optimizing existing products and work with internal and external customers to implement solutions for technical support needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work under general supervision and with other R&D associates to plan, carry out, analyze and interpret analytical chemistry analysis to support research needs in the department, including research studies to identify and quantify components from complex raw materials for the development of new media and media supplementation products.
- Provide technical knowledge for functional and cross-functional technology and product development activities.
- Cross-train, as appropriate, other R&D associates in analytical chemistry techniques and processes. Remain current in the technological and practical advancements in the area of analytical chemistry as it relates to cellular processes through the literature.
- Support development of technical papers, posters and other documents and communications.
- Regularly communicate plans, actions and results with their manager and other leaders.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Education requirements: Minimum of a B.S./B.A. in Chemistry or related field
- Basic analytical chemistry skills required: use of balances, pipettes, volumetric glassware, etc..
- HPLC/UPLC method development and validation per ICH guidelines required.
- Basic computing skills with Windows 7/XP and Microsoft Office is required, including the ability to perform calculations and graph in Excel.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required.
- Experience operating Waters Alliance HPLC, Agilent 1100/1200 HPLC, or Waters Acquity UPLC instruments with Empower 2 software required. Must be able to process and report data using Empower 2.
- Experience with single, triple quadrupole, or Q-TOF mass spectrometers desired. Waters SQD, TQD or Agilent Q-TOF preferred.
- Experience with Agilent 6890 GC-MS with Chemstation or MassHunter a plus.
- Experience performing wet chemistry assays and 96-well plate based assays using UV-Vis and Fluorescent plate readers desired.
- Experience developing sample preparation/extraction methods desired. Liquid-Liquid and Solid-Phase extraction experience preferred.
- Experience of good lab practice, proper notebook writing and maintenance are required.
- Related, industry experience desirable.
Becton Dickinson - 2 years ago