TITLE: Scientist II, Reproductive Health Program
REPORTING TO: Director of Biomedical Research, Reproductive Health
LOCATION: Center for Biomedical Research, New York, NY
SALARY: Depends on qualifications and experience.
ASSIGNMENT LENGTH: Two years, renewable by mutual consent and availability of funds
The Population Council’s Reproductive Health (RH) Program seeks a Scientist II to conduct formulation development on pre-clinical products that are part of the development pipeline at its Center for Biomedical Research. The Scientist will work closely with the RH Head of Pharmaceutical Development and the basic and preclinical laboratories to formulate contraceptive agents using new technologies and drug delivery methods to advance the existing product portfolio for new contraceptive strategies.
1. Develop and optimize formulations including gels for topical delivery, intra-uterine devices and long-acting biodegradable injectable implants and formulations. Use innovative strategies such as nanotechnology, to improve contraceptive drug efficacy and safety, stability, client acceptance and cost-savings for public sector.
2. Develop, validate and conduct appropriate characterization studies for new formulations; provide expertise to collaborative efforts with RH basic and preclinical scientists.
3. Generate documents and development reports for pre-formulation and formulation work in support of pre-clinical and clinical trial materials.
4. Act as liaison with internal and external collaborators on existing and new formulations, troubleshoot problems, and refine laboratory product procedures and scale up for transfer of technology to external partners.
5. Ensure full compliance with appropriate regulatory standards in all research and laboratory methods, as required.
6. Supervise and train laboratory technical staff and trainees, as required.
7. Interact with the senior investigators within the project team to optimize rigorous testing of new formulations for safety and exploring new biological methods. Work closely with the clinical team to advance products to trials.
8. Secure funding support to advance contraceptive research and product development.
9. Present research at meetings and publish in scientific journals.
10. Lead a formulation laboratory, supervise project budget and staff.
1. PhD or Pharm. D in Pharmaceutics, Chemical Engineering or Pharmaceutical Chemistry with a background preferably in controlled release technologies. M.D. with appropriate level of relevant experience will be considered.
2. Minimum of ten (10) years relevant pharmaceutical drug delivery experience desired.
3. Documented expertise and experience in formulation and product development is required.
4. Willingness and ability to work collaboratively with RH program staff, clinical development and biomedical research, and regulatory affairs teams.
5. Excellent written and oral English language and communication skills.
The Population Council is an international, nonprofit, nongovernmental institution that seeks to improve the well-being and reproductive health of current and future generations around the world and to help achieve a humane, equitable, and sustainable balance between people and resources. The Council conducts biomedical, social science, and public health research and helps build research capacities in developing countries. Established in 1952, the Council is governed by an international board of trustees. Its New York headquarters supports a global network of country offices. We are seeking an individual to fill the position described. If you know of a qualified candidate or are interested in this position, please apply at:
The Population Council provides equal opportunity; it does not discriminate against any person with regard to age, color, creed, national origin, disability, political belief, veteran status, religion, marital status, gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation. Decisions on employment are based on an individual’s qualifications as related to the position for which s/he is being considered. The Council especially encourages applications from qualified women and members of minority groups. The Population Council is international in the composition of its board of trustees and its staff, as well as in the nature and deployment of its activities.
Population Council - 5 months ago
The Population Council is an international, nonprofit, nongovernmental research organization that seeks to improve the well-being and reprod...