Alcoa has an exciting opportunity for a Scientist to work at the Alcoa Technical Center located in Alcoa Center (New Kensington) PA, a suburb of Pittsburgh. The Alcoa Technical Center (ATC) is Alcoa’s largest research, development, and applied engineering laboratory. Alcoa Technical Center occupies a 127-acre campus with an additional 2,019 acres of rolling countryside. This facility is the world’s largest light metals research and development center with a full range of lab capabilities, from bench-scale to full production-scale equipment. The facility has a diverse, multi-lingual workforce holding more than 100 Doctorate and 200 Master’s Degrees.
The primary purpose of the role is to ensure world class, operation critical composition analysis support across worldwide Alcoa locations through application and dissemination of deep technical knowledge of elemental analysis with strong focus on arc/spark optical emission spectrometry.
- Providing independent, on-site and remote deep technical support compliant with ATC and plant ISO and Nadcap accreditation requirements of plant based, operations critical spectrometers including hardware, software and analytical methods
- Application of design of experiments, statistics and data analysis to understand and improve measurement processes
- Establishing, communicating and building ownership of future directions in metals analysis
- Calibration and configuration of operation critical spectrometers in compliance with ISO and Nadcap requirements
- Development, documentation and training for aluminum analysis best practices
- Development of novel analytical methods for newly developed alloys, materials and processes
- Application of and personnel training in statistical process control as applied to metals analysis at plant sites
- Travel to locations to resolve analytical issues and verify proper operation of spectrometers
- Role requires ability to integrate thorough understanding of elemental analysis of aluminum, instrument software, electronics and basic metallurgy to resolve critical complex problems with direct impact on product quality and environmental compliance
- Position requires 25-50% travel globally
- This position is being posted at a range of job grades 14-16. Job grade will be dependent on education and experience level of the incumbent.