Key success factors for role:
- Collaboratively support the project teams in the Infection & Oncology IMEDs with the application of mass spectrometry to solve biological challenges.
- Seek out opportunities to collaborate and expand the role of mass spectrometry throughout the Infection & Oncology IMEDs with focused biological assays, biomarker assays, and metabolomic screens.
- Work independently and collaboratively with project teams: e.g. understand the teams' requirements, compound stability, and work with team members to solve analytical issues.
- Work in accordance to local SHE requirements and in compliance with all AZ Corporate responsibility policies.
- Ability to apply the techniques of mass spectrometry to solve various biological & analytical problems
- Ability to design and execute experiments autonomously
- Quality and consistent delivery from own work
- Excellent teamwork, collaboration and communication within team and across department
- Excellent awareness of current developments in the mass spectrometry literature
- Ability to act as a scientific mentor to less experienced scientists, post docs and junior member of staff or students.
Functional knowledge required:
Ph.D in a relevant chemistry discipline with 0-2yrs work experience.
- Detailed knowledge of mass spectrometry, familiarity with various types of instrumentation: TOF, ion traps, triple & single quads, commercially available ion sources, and high throughput sample interfaces.
- Familarity with the following software: Waters Masslynx (Openlynx, Quantlynx, and Biolynx) Agilent Chemstation and Mass Hunter, Bruker Compass, Thermo Scientific Xcalibur and Mass Frontiers, and Cerno Bioscience MassWorks.
- Strong background in chromatography and sample preparation with specific focus being applied to mass spectrometry and bioanalytical analysis.
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot LC and MS instrumentation
- Demonstrate expertise in mass spectrometry, assay development, and structure elucidation, propose experimental strategies, troubleshoot problems and make a significant contribution to the practical delivery of project compounds.
- Able to identify, develop and apply new technologies and ways of working within Medicinal Chemistry and within the broader IMED.
- Demonstrated application of mass spectrometry addressing biological questions in Oncology, Bacteriology, or Virology is a plus.
Have a thorough understanding of the Analytical sciences and how it contributes and influences drug discovery projects.
- May develop new areas of mass spectrometry (eg. Metabalomics)
- May expand role to include mentoring as well as scientific responsibilities
- May have understanding of computational chemistry and physical; organic chemistry and its relationship to drug discovery.
Have a good understanding of how the drug discovery process functions within discovery. Understands how the different disciplines contribute to the discovery projects and is fully able to represent their own discipline in a cross-disciplinary project team.
AstraZeneca - 17 months ago
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals (which does business as AstraZeneca US) can help with a full alphabet of ailments. The company, a subsidiary of...