Good Start Genetics is currently seeking a highly motivated Scientist with expertise in a variety of molecular techniques, who can utilize practical clinical experience and skills in genomics and molecular biology to design, conduct, and analyze data associated with next generation DNA sequencing. This position is in the R&D department and reports to the Associate Director of Technology.
- Independently design, conduct, and analyze the data from experiments involved in optimizing target capture, library construction, and next-generation DNA sequencing approaches.
- Independently come up with creative experimental and/or computational/statistical solutions to problems in the next-generation DNA sequencing space.
- Design, program, and run custom workflows on a high-throughput liquid handling robotics platforms.
- Maintain and help to generate standard operating procedures for protocols developed.
- Document techniques and methods used and write reports for publication and internal use.
- PhD in biological sciences, biological engineering, or a related discipline, or commensurate experience with a proven ability to function in a role with this level of responsibility and independence.
- 4+ years of experience with genomic and molecular biology techniques, preferably including next-generation sequencing and library preparation.
- Experience working with challenging sample types, including DNA that is of low molecular mass, low quantity, and/or low quality
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement novel solutions to challenging problems in genomics, with highly-developed quantitative skills (preferably in next-generation DNA sequencing)
- Ability to program in a scripting language and to process large-scale data sets strongly desired.
- Experience and comfort applying statistical techniques to high-throughput data sets is strongly desired.
- Desire to work as part of a small, inter-disciplinary, and collaborative team in a fast-paced environment.