Sapphire Energy is seeking a highly motivated scientist to join the Trait Discovery Group in Research and Development in San Diego, California. Level and compensation will depend on background and experience. The successful candidate will work within our trait discovery pipeline in the Biotechnology Department.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design and execute experiments to create and screen genetically diverse microbial populations, including high-throughput selection and screening.
- PCR, cloning, and sequence analysis.
- Make and record detailed observations, analyze data, and interpret results.
- Supervise research projects in the short and long term, including outside collaborations.
- Provide an example of professionalism and proficiency in the laboratory as a technical leader.
- Work within a matrix organization to complete projects and meet corporate goals.
- Other tasks/duties as assigned.
- A Ph.D. in a scientific discipline, such as Molecular Biology, Genetics, Plant Science, Biochemistry, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years post-graduate laboratory experience; industry experience preferred.
- Understanding of molecular biology, genetic, biochemical, physiologic techniques as applied to study both eukaryotic and prokaryotic organisms.
- Experience with directed evolution and protein engineering including methods to generate diversity and approaches to screening.
- A solid understanding of metabolic and/or genetic pathways.
- Strong leadership skills; comfort with leadership & accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design, execute, troubleshoot and interpret experiments.
- Creativity and the ability to lead and/or work within an interdisciplinary team to in order to achieve technical and corporate milestones.
- Exceptional critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Due to the highly collaborative nature of this position, interpersonal and communications skills will be extremely important.
- Proficiency in writing and oral presentations.