This mission centered full or part-time position, under the supervision of the Donor Services Manager, coordinates and assists in the eye donation process from the initial contact by outside agencies of potential donor through monitoring tissue movement within organization including communication with partner agencies and the deployment of eye bank technical staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The position’s duties may include any or all of the following:
• Receive all initial incoming referral calls from outside agencies, including Organ Procurement Organization’s, Funeral Homes, hospices, and coroners/Medical Examiners.
• Interact and effectively communicate with all outside agencies on potential donor cases
• Enter all referral information into computer database.
• Perform preliminary donor screening of initial death referral and related information to determine if patient is eligible to be a donor for all facilities within the Heartland Lions Eye Banks service area
• Access statewide donor registries based on the potential donor’s state of residency.
• Obtain all relevant medical history from hospital or other nursing care center for donor cases.
• Continuous data entry into computer database of all relevant information and events associated with the referral.
• Dispatch eye bank technical staff to recovery site based on final location of the potential donor.
• Track recovered tissue as it moves between branches for evaluations and assessments.
• Update Heartland Lions Eye Banks contacts database based on feedback from recovery technicians
A high school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities can be acquired is necessary. Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND PROBLEM-SOLVING ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Excellent computer and phone skills as well as verbal and written communication skills a must. Ability to multi-task with frequent interruptions.
This position requires a great amount of flexibility, due to the nature of the Eye Bank’s 24-hour business. This may include day, night, weekend, and/or holiday hours, including shifts with short notice to ensure adequate staffing of the DSC. Frequent periods of intense concentration, attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to handle the mental/physical strain involved in the use of printed materials and monitors. May require long periods of sitting. Moderate manual dexterity for basic keyboard work. Occasional out of town stays for training necessary.
NOTE: The preceding statements describe the nature and level of assignments normally given job incumbents. They are not an exhaustive list of duties. Additional duties may be assigned.
To Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume, and schedule availability to DSCJobs@hleb.org