Prospect Park is Brooklyn’s 585-acre historic flagship park, designed by the famed Olmsted and Vaux. It is the home of Brooklyn’s only lake and forest, with nature trails, numerous recreational activities, public educational programs, volunteer opportunities, and the first urban Audubon Center.
Prospect Park seeks an experienced Community Associate to collaborate with our motivated Volunteer Office. The employee will work as a Project Coordinator and will assist with all aspect of our volunteer program including: creating safe outdoor volunteer activities with 10-400 diverse participants of all ages, community outreach, communicating with other Parks staff, and performing administrative duties.
The Volunteer Corps works with more than 3,000 volunteers annually who give close to 25,000 hours of volunteer time, playing a crucial role in the maintenance and beautification of Prospect Park. Teams, led by Volunteer Office staff, work on a variety of projects, including mulching, painting, weeding, removing invasive species, rebuilding forest and a variety of other park maintenance projects.
- Work independently and as a team to plan, prepare, and supervise volunteer activities
- Carry out fieldwork and train volunteers to safely assist with outdoor restoration, beautification, and cleanups in all types of weather
- Coordinate community programs including educational and entertainment activities for the public
- Assist with volunteer recruitment by meeting with potential individuals and groups, attending community fairs, and other outreach events
- Professionally communicate with the public and Parks staff
- Perform office work including filing, and data input. Use Word, Excel, and database software to create reports, events descriptions, correspondences, and other daily office needs.
- Assisting Volunteer Corps Director with various planning initiatives
The schedule for this position is generally 9AM-5PM five days (35 hours) per week. Weekly schedule will vary and weekends and evenings are required. This is a seasonal position, starting this spring, with the possibility of extension. The salary for the Seasonal Community Associate position is $17.69 per hour.
- High school graduation or equivalent
- At least two years of experience in horticulture or landscaping
- Experience in community work or community centered activities for diverse peoples of all ages
- Have good physical stamina including the ability to lift up to 25 lbs for sustained periods of time
- Possess a professional, positive attitude and a willingness to pitch in at all times
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and computer proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Experienced driver with a driver’s license valid in the New York State
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
Prospect Park Alliance - 17 months ago