Randall's Island Park Alliance, Inc.
Job Opening Notice
Posting Dates: 2/15/13 – Until filled
Title: Seasonal Gardener & Educator
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Length: 40 hours per week; 8 months duration
Work Location: Randall's Island Park, New York City
1. Knowledge of wetlands habitats, flora, and fauna
- Work with the Randall's Island Natural Areas Manager and other members of the Wetlands Crew to plant, cultivate, and maintain native wetland grasses, shrubs, and trees located within newly restored salt marsh and freshwater wetland habitat. A primary responsibility will be the identification, control, and removal of invasive plant speciesfrom the site.
- Assist the Natural Areas Manager in leading, training, and educating volunteers, school children and teenagers, and community groups during stewardship and educational events at the restoration sites as part of the Randall's Island Wetland Stewardship program.
2. Experience at identifying common native and invasive wetland plants
3. Willing to work in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
4. Familiar with gardening tools
5. Experience working with volunteers/community groups/school groups
6. Knowledge & ability to operate small hand-held power tools
7. Be able to commit to working from 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (40 hours/week) during the week, rotating weekend work is required, and overtime as needed
1. Valid New York State driver license
2. Experience in: planting, cultivating, weeding, caring for trees, plants and shrubs
3. A certificate, college degree, and/or coursework in Ecology, Horticulture, Botany, or Biology or related field
4. Good communication and leadership skills
5. Capacity to work independently, as well as function as part of a team
6. Must be punctual and reliable
7. Knowledge of computer basics (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook)
8. Pesticide license a plus