This position is responsible for the supervision and management of designated pieces of Secretarial Services and functions as the liaison between professional/administrative staff and legal secretaries. Ensures effective, timely and cost-efficient coordination for completion of client and administrative tasks. Encourages and promotes teamwork and cooperation throughout Secretarial Services by working with lawyers and secretaries to identify problems and provide resources. Communicates and supports firm wide policies and professional practices. Administers the performance evaluation process and delivers reviews and salary modifications to the secretarial staff. Coordinates with the Manager of Secretarial Services to develop, prepare and improve secretarial training resources. Successfully and appropriately identifies and resolves employee relations issues.
- Maintains staff work schedules and prioritizes workload and work flow; organizes coverage for scheduled and unscheduled secretarial absences; provides assistance for other departments, as needed; monitors and approves requests for overtime and other related expenses.
- Communicates effectively and efficiently with attorneys, paralegals, case assistants and secretaries to ensure secretarial support is acceptable and satisfactory. Ensures timely completion of all secretarial work. Remains current and aware of all upcoming deadlines, projects, filing dates and other work demands, including the shift between day and evening staff.
- Continuously reviews and assesses secretarial assignments, workloads and teams to ensure appropriate staffing ratios.
- Identifies training, mentoring and assessment programs for new and existing secretarial staff.
- Administers the performance evaluation process for Secretarial Services staff members for whom they are responsible, makes recommendations for merit increases and performance bonuses, communicates performance reviews, salary increases, performance bonuses and identifies development goals.
- Administers the 180-day performance evaluation process for new Secretarial Services staff members.
- Administers the Disciplinary Action Procedures for Secretarial Services staff and creates and administers development plans.
- Participates in the recruitment process for Secretarial Services support staff openings for whom they are responsible.
- Maintains administrative records for attendance in accordance with firm policies and procedures, and works with Human Resources to monitor leaves of absence in compliance with the appropriate regulatory statutes and state and federal leave laws.
- Serves as secondary resource for firm licensed software applications and as a liaison to User Support to enhance Secretarial Services’ knowledge and skills of available technology and software programs. Coordinates with IT to respond to system irregularities and provides alternative solutions to secretarial staff to ensure work assignments can be completed.
- Coordinates with appropriate departments to ensure a smooth transition/integration for all incoming Partners, Associates, Summer Associates, Law Clerks, Paralegals and Case Assistants.
- Each Secretarial Supervisor is expected to understand and be knowledgeable of the practice groups for which they provide secretarial supervision and the operational needs of that department and the firm.
- Identifies and makes recommendations to Secretarial Manager concerning morale and other issues as they arise.
Works on special projects and assignments as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Associates degree and at least five (5) years experience as a secretary/administrative assistant with experience in project management or supervisory experience OR Bachelors degree with at least two (2) years supervisory, secretarial or project management experience, preferably in a law firm environment, or equivalent.
- General familiarity with labor and employment laws.
- Excellent organizational, written, oral communication, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Excellent computer skills. Familiarity with MS Office Suite.
- Must demonstrate the ability to maintain strict confidentiality of the firm's internal and personnel affairs.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of firm personnel, including management staff and support staff.
- Must be flexible and able to work under tight deadlines, handle multiple tasks, and respond quickly to changing priorities.
- Able to understand and work in a teamwork/collaborative style and environment; able to share information, goals, opportunities, successes and failures with the appropriate parties and management team, actively participate in teams and provide team leadership.
- Ability to anticipate problems and focus on appropriate solutions while incorporating differing viewpoints.
- Ability to resolve issues among staff members.
- Must pay attention to details and have the ability to follow up and follow through.
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor in all situations, demonstrate the ability to work independently with limited guidance, and exercise independent judgment including knowing when to delegate or when to consult upper-management.
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally and educationally diverse environment.
Normal office environment. Incumbent is expected to work the hours necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Ropes & Gray - 19 months ago