Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
External candidates will receive the minimum $11.22/hr
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
Serve as secretarial support for the Department of Physics.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Greet and assist customers in a friendly, courteous manner. Respond to routine questions and provide information on department procedures and services.
2. Work in concert with other support staff.
3. Process bi-weekly departmental payroll and maintain payroll records.
4. Process undergraduate student payroll, including completion of electronic forms.
5. Process payroll and expenditure reallocations, including purchasing card transactions.
6. Process textbook orders each semester.
7. Collect and maintain records for syllabi.
8. Access confidential academic information using BANNER and Discoverer.
9. Assist with maintaining departmental research files.
10. Assist with special projects, functions, and events.
11. Assist with photocopying needs of the department.
12. Provide support of email@example.com email account and Google calendar.
13. Integrate safety practices into daily activities.
14. Supervision: Functional supervision may be exercised over work study assistant.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
High school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
One year office/clerical experience.
One year experience using personal computers and basic software (Microsoft Word, Excel).
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills.
Ability to perform duties with accuracy and attention to detail.
Experience using BANNER and Discoverer databases, and Google software.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
Demonstrated ability to use judgment when dealing with confidential information.
Demonstrated ability to work as a team member and contribute to the overall smooth operation of a service environment.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively under conditions of frequent and multiple interruptions.
Demonstrated ability to operate office equipment.
Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
LANGUAGE SKILLS :
Ability read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS :
Ability to add,subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
REASONING ABILITY :
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems in standardized situations.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
PHYSICAL DEMANDS : The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an : employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to sit; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel an object.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT : The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee may regularly be required to lift up to 10 pounds.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Sexual Harassment Training
Annual Data Security Training
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
UAW Internal/External Posting