Under the direct supervision performs a variety of office support and/or secretarial duties for a specified unit/department, such as composing and word processing a variety of standard documents and correspondence, relaying and resolving routine telephone and/or walk-up inquiries, scheduling calendar items and meetings, making travel arrangements, processing forms, performing data entry, and establishing and maintaining records. Edits and proofreads documents to ensure accuracy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. May report to the unit head or department chairpersons or to some other supervisor, and may supervise all student assistants assigned to the unit or department office.
2. Types correspondence, memoranda, reports, instruction sheets, forms, statistical data or any other material that is relevant to the work of the administrative unit or program to which assigned.
3. Proofreads all materials typed to ensure their accuracy.
4. Compose letters and memoranda from general notes.
5. Compiles information from files, records, publications, and other sources, and tabulates this information in accordance with standardized report forms.
6. Receives, open, sorts and distributes mail as directed, and assembles related material for use by the supervisor in answering mail.
7. Maintains accurate and current records of departmental purchases, equipment, travel, statistical data, daily office activities, daily program activities and appointments.
8. Establishes and maintains accurate and current files of letters, reports, records, and other documentary material, and ensures that information in these files is kept confidential.
9. Renders some limited kinds of administrative assistance as directed by the immediate supervisor and in accordance with specific written or oral instructions.
10. Receives and places telephone calls, schedules appointments and meetings, makes reservations, greeting visitors and callers, records messages, and performs the functions of an office receptionist.
11. Prepared request for office supplies when needed, and receives such supplies.
12. Performs general office management duties, and recommends methods for improving office procedures.
13. Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the immediate supervisor.
14. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements (including certifications, licenses, etc.):
High school diploma or equivalent and one year of clerical experience.
- Working knowledge of office management proactive and procedures
- Working knowledge of business English, spelling and commercial mathematics.
- Ability to compose and prepare accurate reports, records and correspondence.
- Ability to prepare and maintain complex clerical files including statistical reports and materials.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public in giving and obtaining information, referring callers and arranging appointments.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Skill in the use of operating basic office equipment.
- Organizing and coordinating skills.
- Word processing and/or data entry skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
Alabama A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Alabama A&M University - 10 months ago
Alabama A&M University in Huntsville, AL is offering a new graduate space science concentration in the physics department curriculum. We...