Job Description Title:|
Time (Percent Time):
Current Work Schedule (days, hours):
Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Steps 1 - 6, $3,813 - $4,867 per month
Health & Welfare:
College contributes $9,563 toward annual premium for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage. Lifetime retirement benefits provided for eligible retirees. The District participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System ( PERS ) and State Teachers’ Retirement System ( STRS ) retirement programs.
Closing Date: NOTE: Deadline to apply is 4:00 PM PST on the Closing Date. (Read all posting details and Application Procedure.)
Open Until Filled:
This position is responsible for performing a wide variety of comprehensive, complex and specialized administrative duties to support functions related to the area of assignment, managing office functions to assure efficient operations, providing internal and external customer service, and providing counseling and direction to appropriate office and departments.
Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities:
- Provides information in response to questions from various departments, students, faculty, and public requiring judgment, knowledge, interpretation of policies, procedures and regulations; routes to appropriate parties if outside area of knowledge
- Composes correspondence and memos from verbal instruction or notes; responds to mailed correspondence under general supervision
- Prepare reports and presentations, determining appropriate format
- Input data into computer mainframe e.g., class curriculum, schedules, budget, payroll, student and faculty information; develops special statistical reports based on information
- Maintains a complex system of interrelated file and records; updates information as required
- Schedules meetings, arranges travel and appointments, and maintains calendars
- Screens telephone calls and visitors; takes and disseminates messages
- Assure timely distribution of reports, agendas, minutes and reports; collects, compiles and disseminates materials; attends various departmental meetings as appropriate
- Opens, sorts, and routes mail
- Performs related duties as required
- Customer service principles and practices
- College organization, operations, policies, and objectives
- Organization, policies and rules of assigned program
- Modern office practices, procedures, and equipment
- Record-keeping procedures
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary
- Various computer software applications (i.e., Microsoft Office Suite)
Minimum Qualifications/ Education & Experience:
- Excellent customer service skills and abilities to interface with a diverse group of people
- Apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Use applicable sections of State Education Code and other applicable laws
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Plan, organize and prioritize work
- Work independently with little direction
- Complete work efficiently with many interruptions
- Work confidently with discretion
- Work in a busy, fast paced office
- Multi-task with a heavy workload
- Meet schedules and timelines
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, using correct standard English
- Understand scope of authority in making independent decisions
- Review situations accurately and determine appropriate action according to established guidelines
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Type 55 net words per minute
- Make arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately
- Operate a variety of office equipment such as calculator, computer, copier, etc.
Two to four years secretarial experience; experience in managing office and administrative support. A.A. Degree and previous experience in a community college preferred
License(s) & Other Requirements:
Recommended candidate for this position will be required to obtain fingerprint clearance prior to beginning employment.
Instructions re: Confidential references:
The required letters of recommendation are not required to be confidential but if your reference prefers to send a confidential letter, please follow these instructions and notify your reference directly. To obtain a confidential letter of recommendation, you must enter the reference’s name and email address in the fields provided under the “Confidential References” section of the application.
NOTICE : In order for your reference to receive an email with a link to attach a confidential reference letter, you must complete your application and reach the status of “Under Review by HR”. It is recommended that you complete your application and reach this status as soon as possible well in advance of the deadline to provide your reference ample time to attach the letter.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to assure that all required and any optional documents are attached by no later than 4:00 PM PST of the closing date shown on the job posting.
Conditions of Employment:
EXAMINATION REQUIRED : A review of applicants’ experience and qualifications will be conducted. Based on that evaluation, only applicants that provided all required documents and met the minimum qualifications will be qualified to participate in the next step of the examination process. An Examination Notification will be emailed inviting qualified applicants to attend the Secretary examination scheduled on Tuesday, October 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM, in Building 28A, Room 103. Applicants who do not receive the Examination Notification email will not be allowed to participate in the examination process. During the exam, mobile phones must be turned off; calculators OK. You must present photo ID. Please park in parking lot F. Do not park in metered or handicapped spaces.
Typing Certificate Requirements:
A 55 NET WPM typing certificate (5-minute timed test) is required and must be issued within one year of time of application from an accredited school or agency, excluding on-line agencies. Typing certificate must be attached to each application at time of submission. Applications received without the typing certificate will be considered incomplete and will NOT be considered further.
A Mt. San Antonio College on-line application must be completed and submitted online at http://hrjobs.mtsac.edu no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 12, 2012. A cover letter, résumé, two letters of recommendation, and typing certificate are required and must also be submitted online. A 55 NET WPM typing certificate (5-minute timed test) is required and must be issued within one year of time of application from an accredited school or agency, excluding on-line agencies. Typing certificate must be attached to each application at time of submission. Applications received without the typing certificate will be considered incomplete and will NOT be considered further. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received by the filing deadline. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All application materials must be submitted on-line, will become College property, will not be returned, and will not be copied. Please visit our employment website at http://hrjobs.mtsac.edu to complete and submit your application for this position.
Please note: A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to a required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through the Office of Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225 . E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA . This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
It is the policy of Mt. San Antonio College that harassment is prohibited and that all persons shall receive equal employment and educational opportunities without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, age (over 40), medical condition (cancer), mental disability, physical disability (including HIV & AIDS ), marital status, sexual orientation, or Vietnam Era Veteran Status. This nondiscrimination policy covers Family and Medical Care Leave and Pregnancy Disability Leave. Contact the Office of Human Resources if you need any special accommodations to complete the application process at 909.594.5611, ext. 4225.
Mt. San Antonio College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Cancel RTF Policy:
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE- OPEN ,
RE- ADVERTISE , DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION .
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES .