Graduation from High School or equivalent, plus one (1) year experience providing security services.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
If selected as top candidate, a 3-year driving record will be required before hire.
$11.95 – $14.63
Full-time (40 hours a week) shift work.
Hours and shifts vary to include evenings, weekends and holidays.
Job Close Date
Departments may close a posting at their discretion
Open Until Filled
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
All Austin Public Library Branches
Top candidate requires:
Pervious monitoring or security experience
Ability to stand and walk to partol building
Personal vehicle to patrol various library locations.
Customer service experience
Skilled in oral and written communications
Ability to use computer to write reports, check emails and respond to other notifications
knowledge of CCTV (Closed Circuit Television)monitoring.
Ability and willingness to work shifts which will include evenings, weekends and holidays.
Selected candidate will be required to provide a personal vehicle for security patrols throughout the department. Vehicle registration and vehicle insurance is required.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Picks up stolen property and handle loss and found items
Operates, repairs, and maintains equipment/reports maintenance problems
Provides delivery/courier services
Conducts safety inspection of facilities, i.e., fire extinguishers, life/safety equipment, etc.
Performs situation assessments and investigate work incidents
Identifies, assists, and gives clearance to entering patrons
Provides security and assistance to the public and various law enforcement agencies
Issues parking permits
Administers first aid
Identifies suspects and/or research computer database
Responds to fire alarms, security alarms, and accidents;contact appropriate emergency personnel
Directs traffic and provide crowd control services
Maintains logs and incident reports
Monitors and operates electronic doors, gates, security systems, etc.
Acts as alternate guard when necessary
Manages crises security by soliciting vendors during emergency situations, i.e., plumbers, electricians, elevator repairman, etc.
Reports building repairs
Processes and traces evidence
Testifies in court
Assist to resolve complaints
Duties also require:
1. Updating alarm codes, access cards and security keys inventory.
2. Monitoring surveillance cameras.
3. Ability to explain and enforce Library conduct policy in a professional, safe and respectful manner.
4. Facilitate open and closing procedures of the Central library.
5. Utilize two way radios to maintain communication with fellow security guards.
6. Check materials for proper check-out by monitoring RFID reader or responding to alarm system.
7. Ability to document incident reports using computer and electronic database
8. Ability to respond to incidents in a timely manner.
9. Ability to interact and work with children, adults and all diverse populations.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, Local laws, and ordinances.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy, and procedure.
- Knowledge of supervisory, managerial techniques, and principles.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public.
Does this job require a criminal background investigation?
This position requires a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.