Jacob Riis- seeks a two part- time reliable, dependable, and punctual Security Guards to provide onsite security for staff and participants. He/she will have the ability to effectively assist staff and participants in time of need or crisis to ensure proper functioning of the Queensbridge Community Center and Ravenswood Community Center.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains strict boundaries with program staff and participants
- Provide an atmosphere in which all participants, staff and visitors feel safe
- Manager and mediate all conflict
- Monitor entrances and exits; prevent unapproved entry; controls entrances; directs persons who cause a disturbance to leave the property; keep lobby clear of unauthorized persons
- Patrols site; checks for unsafe conditions
- Ensuring that facility is opened and/ or closed during specified hours
- Responds to emergencies in an orderly manner
- Ensure that all participants and visitors sign in and out daily
- Supervise youth participants that are waiting for pick up
- Communicates in a manner that is open, honest and responsive in all situations
- Answer phone calls; covers front desk
- Additional duties as required by supervisor(s)
Statement of Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Valid NYS Security Guard License
- Back ground clearance; fingerprinting, sex offender check list; physical, three (3) reference check
- 3-5 years relevant experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- A genuine respect for and an interest in the well-being of children
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in a written and oral form
- Experience in a non-profit setting
- Excellent interpersonal ,oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and strong organizational and follow up skills
- Flexibility, patience, resourcefulness and a willingness to learn
- Ability to be an effective team leader
- Good interpersonal skills, with the ability and willingness to work with diverse ethnic populations
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required.
Physical Demands: The work requires routine walking, standing, bending and carrying items weighing less than fifty pounds.
Report to: Program Coordinator, Riis Academy @ Ravenswood Community Center
Starting Salary & Hours: $10- $12 per hour; 20-25 hours a week
Schedule: Monday- Friday evenings & weekends
Start date: September 2013
Jacob Riis Settlement House - 12 months ago
Jacob A. Riis Neighborhood Settlement House, Inc. is the leading community-based non-profit service provider in Western Queens, New York,...