Cook County is currently looking for a Security Specialist to work at the JTDC facility. The JTDC is the largest juvenile detention center in the nation, with an average daily population of 420 residents. Under the supervision of the Security Supervisor, the Security Specialist is responsible for all duties related to the safety and security of the persons and property of the JTDC.
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Oversees all sally port and concourse operations, including controlling access and searching all vehicles entering the building (e.g. vendors, emergency vehicles).
- Conducts searches of all visitors, contractors, and employees upon entry to the JTDC facility.
- Grants resident access to approved visitors, agencies, and court personnel, and ensures valid photo identification is presented.
- Assists in the handling of youths admitted to and/or transferred within the facility.
- Monitors, responds, and relays all emergency communications via phone, two-way radio, and public address system.
- Answers, screens, and forwards phone calls regarding residents and general information.
- Monitors all surveillance cameras and provide appropriate verbal and written reporting as directed.
- Performs fire and safety inspections and participates in emergency drills (e.g. fire, evacuation, hostage, bomb threats).
- Maintains a shift inventory of keys, restraint devices, and hand-held radios; distributes and accounts for all security equipment.
- Prepares routine detailed reports, incident reports, and daily shift reports.
The Security Specialist should meet the following requirements :
- Associates or Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, or any human service related field strongly preferred; High School Diploma or GED required
- Must have 2 years previous experience in a guard or security capacity; institutional, correctional, or governmental experience strongly preferred
- Must have or be able to obtain a Class C CDL (Commercial Drivers License) with a P (Passenger) Endorsement
- Ability to: lift, push, pull, and otherwise move objects weighing up to 50 pounds; physically restrain an individual(s) if necessary; and stand and/or walk for long periods of time
- Ability to effectively understand and communicate in English (verbally and in writing)
- Open availability for a rotating schedule covering days, evenings, weekends (shifts subject to change)
- General computer skills, including word processing and database creation and maintenance
- Highly accountable, reliable, prompt, able to assess a situation and call for additional assistance when necessary, and effective under adverse conditions and in emergency situations
- Must be 21 years of age or older at the time of application submission
- Must be a resident of the State of Illinois within 90 days of date of hire
- Pass a pre-employment medical screen and background check including but not limited to LEADS, CANTS, and professional references
- Selected candidates must also pass a required emergency communications written examination
Cook County Juvenile Temporary Detention Center - 18 months ago