Division: Production & Supply
Function: Corn & Soybean Production
State/Province: Nebraska [NE]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Seed Production Agronomist
Job ID: 3449
Management and execution of all phases of seed production for corn and/or soybeans to ensure a high quality, reliable, and timely supply is delivered to the facility. Foster an operational culture founded on HSE and process improvement. Actively engage and provide technical expertise with seed growers, and production research for seed multiplication.
- Geographically contract required production acres with seed growers to maximize yield, minimize freight costs and deliver seed meeting quality specifications.
- Develop and maintain a grower evaluation system to drive increased yields and quality.
- Understand species and variety characteristics, seed quality standards, PLC advancement priorities, and crop delivery requirements to optimize seed availabilities.
- Develop and implement programs regarding agronomic issues in production fields including, weed and insect programs, and timely field inspection programs. Make pesticide and agronomic recommendations to optimize yield and COGP.
- Coordinates receiving activities to meet conditioning schedules in conjunction with Plant Operations.
- General administrative management duties including signing grower contracts, collecting – preparing – inputting data for reports, conducting QBS management meetings, pricing and managing disposition of harvest.
- Foster an operational culture founded on adherence to all applicable HSE and other corporate policies, procedures and guidelines. Active leadership in the “Goal Zero” campaign.
- Work with PPT or other specialists to test/implement new production concepts.
- Remain current with latest production technology and develop specialized skills (i.e. systems, data analysis, equipment maintenance, fertility, irrigation mgmt, etc.) to support seed growers.
- Coordinates with Plant Management Team to set schedules, determine workforce needs, and training staff.
- Cross functional knowledge and experience of plant activities: conditioning, treating, packaging, and warehouse and distribution activities.
- Coordinate bin sampling to ensure representative samples are procured in a timely and safe manner in accordance with QBS requirements.
- Oversight of site internal Quality Labs and personnel to ensure high quality seed is delivered to the customer.
- Supervise employees and third party personnel as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy or related field; equivalent professional experience and/or training in addition to the experience requirement will be considered
- Typically requires 2-4 years of related experiences
- Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) preferred
- Knowledge of general industry procedures, practices, and terminology
- Excellent communication skills
- PC and business software skills
- Strong agronomic and pest management
Critical technical, professional, & personal capabilities:
- Ability to adapt to changing environmental/situational needs
- Ability to make timely, effective decisions
- Ability to remain flexible and responsive when faced with multiple urgent requests
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Drive Results: Focuses on customers - Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Manages for performance - Skillfully plans, organizes and monitors performance to create value and achieve excellence in delivery.
- Liberate Potential: Collaborates across boundaries - Collaborates effectively across organizational and functional boundaries, and leverages diversity.
- Creates Edge: Leads change and holds ambiguity - Uses effective strategies to facilitate organizational change initiatives and overcomes resistance to change.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Meet crop plan targets while maintaining high quality production.
- Achieve annual COGP and HSE targets
- Proactive professional working relationships with seed producing vendors.
- Assessments, implementations, and execution of important business strategies relating to consistent supplies of high quality and sufficient quantity seed products.
- Individual skill assessments and developments.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Position requires being able to walk seed production fields in any weather
- Position requires working 7 days a week during critical time of year
- Position requires travel by car/pickup during certain periods of year
WORKING CONDITIONS WHILE PERFORMING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Position requires be able to work in dusty and hot conditions
- Office environment a portion of the year.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time
- Ensure in its respective area of responsibility and in close cooperation and alignment with Legal and Taxes and other expert functions, Syngenta's full compliance with the applicable legal and regulatory framework as well as Syngenta's own legal and ethical, HSE, Corporate Security, Risk Management and Corporate Governance standards.
Syngenta - 16 months ago