The Senior Accountant manages full cycle journal entry and reconciliations process on a monthly basis, and exercises accurate oversight of assigned asset, liability and income-statement accounts. The position participates in and supports monthly review of Gross Margin and related balances for Management Reporting. The Senior Accountant interprets complex accounting data, and ensures appropriate alignment to chart of accounts, departmental, and company coding. The position extracts information and interprets and applies GAAP hierarchy and standards as well as the company’s guiding principles to entries and reconciliations. The Senior Accountant identifies gaps and risks, and makes educated recommendations on specific accounting treatments as well as reviews significant contracts/agreements and applies that knowledge to company accounting policies and treatments. In addition, the Senior Accountant is responsible for performing various Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) control activities, and supports/participates in quarterly and yearly financial and SOX audits as applicable.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs and manages full cycle general ledger functions for assigned companies for month end close. Interprets complex accounting data, and ensures appropriate alignment to chart of accounts, departmental, and company coding. Interprets and applies GAAP hierarchy and standards as well as the company’s guiding principles to entries and reconciliations.
- Prepares balance sheet reconciliations for assigned companies and for audit support. Identifies gaps and risks, and makes educated recommendations on specific accounting treatments. Interprets the company’s corporate and entity structure, and reviews/prepares accounting transactions based on entity structure, any entity covenants, and any contractual requirements.
- Provide ad hoc analysis as required by internal management. Research variance analysis (actual vs. budget) as part of the month end close process.
- Other Duties/Projects as assigned
- BA or BS in Accounting is required.
- Experience with accounting, account reconciliation and journal entry preparation a must.
- Proficiency in MS Excel required.
- Exposure to an ERP system (preferably Oracle) preferred.
- Experience in Public Accounting preferred.
- Financial Statement preparation and analysis experience preferred.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in making decisions and resolving complex problems.
- Excellent critical thinking skills required; job requires discreet judgments and interpretation of complex and sophisticated data.
- Organized, detail-oriented and thorough with the ability to adapt and manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
The Berry Company is deeply committed to supporting the communities where we live and work. Our employees, who participate through donations...