Reports to: Accounting Manager |
The City of Palo Alto has a Senior Accountant position available in the Accounting Division of the Administrative Services Department. This supervisory position is critical to achieving the Accounting Division mission of accurate, timely and reliable financial information for internal and external customers. Palo Alto is a full-service City with its own Police and Fire Departments, several Enterprise Funds which provide utility services to residents and businesses, a very active Capital Projects Fund, Internal Service Funds and numerous Special Revenue Funds. This wide array of activity requires a broad range of accounting expertise and a highly skilled level of communication in order to liaise with other departments and external agencies.
The ideal candidate for this opportunity will be a well-organized, proactive individual who has at least five years experience with financial statement review and analysis in a governmental fund setting at an analyst or senior level. This person will be comfortable with creating policies and procedures, and is familiar with design and implementation of internal controls. Candidate will have at least three years supervisory experience. CPA degree is highly desirable.
First review of applications on Monday, 5/12/14. First round of interviews will take place on Tuesday, 5/20/14.
Essential duties include:
· Supervising day-to-day activity such as cash receipts processing, bank and other account reconciliations, and journal entries; ensure a timely month-end close;
· In-depth review and analysis of department and fund level financial statements, and reporting as necessary;
· Leading the interim and year-end audits, including monitoring, coordination and preparation of audit schedules; explanation of financial policies, procedures, and/or other relevant information to the auditors;
· Preparing sections of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report;
· Maintaining the integrity of the General Ledger at the fund, department, cost center and account levels;
· Actively participating in special projects and new initiatives such as evaluation of software programs, optimization of departmental accounting structure, and setting up new Funds for significant capital acquisitions.
This position supervises two accounting staff and will be part of the Accounting Division management team reporting to the Accounting Manager.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting.
· Minimum of four years experience in governmental accounting.
· SAP or other ERP experience is required.
· Minimum two years supervisory experience.
Established in 1896, the City of Palo Alto Utilities now provides Electric, Natural Gas, Water, Waste Water collection and Dark Fiber...