Job Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Controller, the Senior Accountant is responsible for assisting in the monthly close process, performing account reconciliations, journal entries and other tasks related to the general accounting function. In addition to recurring monthly accounting functions, the Senior Accountant will assist in the development of the annual budget, assist in the yearly external audit, perform budget to actual variance analysis and other ad-hoc analysis as required.
- Participate in monthly financial statements closing process.
- Work with managers and Accounting staff to determine any necessary journal entries or adjustments.
- Assist in preparing information related to the yearly external audit.
- Prepare ad-hoc financial analysis as needed.
- Develop integrated reporting methods for departments to consolidate information into the HSL’s MediTech financial reporting system. This includes compiling and analyzing financial statements and performance metrics.
- Work with management to explain, address, and project variances. Function as an analytic resource to affiliates to help address budgetary issues and develop improved processes.
- Understand all major actual-to-budget variances. Investigate variances through Fiscal resources, (trial balances, payroll, accounts payable), and direct communications with department managers.
- Gather data for and/or complete various ongoing and ad hoc analyses, such as FTEs, Capital spending, other operating and financial analyses as may be assigned.
- Gather and/or assist in gathering statistical and financial data for use in managers’ required reporting and/or the HSL’s Medicare and Medicaid cost reports. Participate in the coordination of responses to audit requests.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of managers’ financial performance and their impact on the HSL’s financial position.
- Perform other related duties as required or as responsibilities dictate.
- Strategic Orientation: Anticipates market, customer, industry and economic trends, issues and development and identifies new innovative opportunities to create competitive advantage for the organization.
- Initiative: Willingly seizes or creates opportunities to improve current & future business Performance.
- Organizational Know-how- understands and uses formal structure, important relationships and culture within HSL and with external customers to accomplish Impact and Influence: Persuades, convinces, and enlists others to support and adopt a course of action or direction in support of organizational goals.
- Customer Service Orientation: Takes personal responsibility for understanding the real and underlying needs of customers’ and anticipating and meeting their expectations to establish viable, long-term relationships.work objectives and outcomes.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Works for understanding the real and underlying needs of customers’ and anticipating and meeting their expectations to establish viable, long-term relationships. effectively within a team, group and across the organization and accomplishes tasks and desired results while behaving constructively as opposed to separately and competitively.
- Communication: Absorbs, comprehends and exchanges information with others, enhancing mutual understanding of ideas, issues and desired action.
- Technical Expertise: Uses and Expands technical body of knowledge to continuously improve work deliverables, share technical information with others, and establish leading technology practices with the organization.
- Managing Complexity: Uses experience, knowledge and training to manage effectively in increasingly difficult and ambiguous situations, making the best decisions possible at the time.
- Innovation and Creativity: Develops, implements, sponsors or supports new and improved methods, procedures, products, processes, solutions, etc. to improve performance.
Physical Requirements (ADA Requirements):
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or equivalent required; Masters degree and CPA are a plus.
- Minimum three (3) to five (5) of experience in accounting/finance/budget.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Word, Access, and financial systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of management.
- Ability to sit at a computer for several hours.
Hebrew SeniorLife is the largest provider of elder care in the Boston metropolitan area. Founded in 1903, Hebrew SeniorLife is an affiliate of Harvard Medical School and a nonprofit, non-sectarian organization devoted to innovative gerontology and geriatric research , senior health care , long-term nursing home care , and Greater Boston senior housing communities that improve the lives of older adults. From independent living to assisted living , Hebrew SeniorLife provides retirement communities in Massachusetts that are designed to help older adults live healthy independent lives.
Hebrew SeniorLife - 19 months ago