The Southern Poverty Law Center is seeking a Senior Accountant to assist the Director and Deputy Director in all areas of the general accounting functions. This includes the general ledger, payables, payroll, property, investments, budget reporting, and statistical accumulation. This individual also assists in financial report preparation on a regular and special request basis; reviewing entries to the general and statistical ledgers to assure accuracy.
1. Regularly reviews entries to the general and statistical ledgers to assure accuracy and compliance with established accounting principles and procedures. Prepares general and statistical ledger entries.
2. Prepares financial and statistical reports as required.
3. Coordinates and prepares for financial audits as required.
4. Assists in the review of budget reports and in preparation of annual capital, expense, and activity budgets.
5. Administers gift annuities and pooled income funds.
6. Prepares and/or reviews required tax returns.
7. Recommends changes in financial policies and procedures, as necessary.
8. Monitors established internal controls to assure proper compliance.
9. Prepares regulatory and financial reports for gift annuities
10. Assists with reconciliation of investments
11. Performs other duties as assigned
The preceding examples are representative of the assignments performed by this position and are not intended to be all-inclusive.
1. This position requires a bachelor's degree in Business Administration with a major in Accounting and five (5) years' experience in combination of experience, education, and training which would provide the level of knowledge, skill, and ability required. A CPA with public accounting experience is desirable.
2. Knowledge of technical and professional principles and skills of accounting and nonprofit finance.
3. Strong computer and spreadsheet skills.
4. Ability to maintain good working relationships with co-workers, supervisor, management, and department head staff and various Center personnel.
5. Strong analytical and organizational skills.
6. Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with a wide range of people