PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Sr. Advocacy & Collaborations Advisor will work with Oxfam staff and external partners, allies and stakeholders to develop and mobilize support for collaborations and advocacy initiatives. S/he will help conceptualize and lead in the implementation of selected initiatives. The Sr. Advisor will support other USRO staff in their external engagement, serve as liaison to other departments and contribute to agency goals of broadening our constituency.
Provide leadership and strategic support to Oxfam staff in the conceptualization, design, and execution of targeted advocacy initiatives and collaborations that support USRO strategic goals.
- Strengthen the methodological understanding and applied practice of campaigning and broad-based advocacy initiatives as a tool for social change appropriate to Oxfam program methodology
- Systematically integrate campaigning and advocacy initiatives within the USRO strategic planning process, keeping mindful of issues such as stakeholder consultation, resources and budgeting, strategy development, branding, relationship management, risk-assessment, decision-making, etc.
- Develop, implement and provide internal coordination of federal policy advocacy campaigning on select domestic poverty and economic justice issues.
- Coordinate USRO private sector alliances in support of USRO campaigning.
- Serve as the USRO liaison for Oxfam America cross-departmental staff teams.
- Support USRO staff in the design, development and coordination of Oxfam support to partner-led campaigns and state-specific campaigns.
- Support USRO staff in the design, development and coordination of private sector collaborations Strengthen internal knowledge of, and staff capacity of, the range of campaign and advocacy tools that can be applied in program activities.
2. Provide overall project coordination and project management of selected campaign and broad-based advocacy initiatives for the US Regional Office, delivering high-impact, public influencing strategies in support of programmatic goals.
3. Contribute to Oxfam’s outreach and organizing strategy, seeking to grow our constituency base and to advance Oxfam’s overall mission and campaign priorities
- Work with USRO team and other departments, as appropriate, to develop and execute campaign plans to take full advantage of targeted US constituencies to engage in a full range of influencing tactics.
- Provide external coordination, as appropriate, with partners, allies, public supporters, as well as public officials and industry leaders
- Coordinate with policy staff and private sectors leads in direct engagement with industry leaders
- Manage high profile campaigns and collaborations with the corporate sector
- Serve as campaigning lead to communications department in the development of public outreach and campaigning materials
- Plan and execute specific events and projects to deliver public pressure and movement in support of aid reform, including sign-on letters, lobby days, media events, speaking events, etc.
- Provide project planning expertise for management of peak moments, appropriate sequencing of campaign activities, resource allocation, etc.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Be willing and able to serve as an Oxfam representative able to effectively communicate to public audiences about Oxfam’s mission and overall campaign priorities.
- Build and leverage opportunities to link messaging and organizing across Oxfam campaigns
- Share learning and best practices within the agency
- Serve as lead on Oxfam International groups involving collaborations for USRO
- The incumbent will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning in the field.
- S/he will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, and will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect.
- S/he will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America’s mission, values and goals.
- S/he must be able to travel up to 20% of the time in support of work; some evening and weekend work may be required.
Bachelors degree, and Masters in political science, public policy, sociology, development, anthropology or a related field
1. Minimum 5 years relevant experience in social justice organizing or politics
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively organize and communicate in multi-racial environments
3. Demonstrated ability to manage and work within complex multi-functional projects and teams
4. Previous experience in training and staff development
5. Demonstrated ability to set priorities and work under pressure
6. Excellent communication skills via diverse mediums
7. Demonstrated ability to network across geographical, thematic and institutional spectrums
- An understanding of the relevant economic, political and social issues facing low income people in the United States as well as a global development perspective
- Competency in written and oral Spanish.
- Experience in both policy advocacy campaigning and private sector engagement.
- Experience in analysis of risk and brand risk in the context of advocacy work and alliances with other organizations.
Oxfam America - 24 months ago