Responsible for assisting the City Attorney in providing legal counsel to representatives of the City such as the City Council, City Boards and Commissions and any City Department. Also responsible for drafting and reviewing legal documentation; and performing prosecutorial and litigation actions on behalf of the City.
Essential Job Functions
Act as legal counsel for the City in actions such as criminal prosecution, litigation, employment disputes, contract review, government action and legislation, etc.
Research and draft legal documents such as pleadings, affidavits, letters to opposing counsel, memorandums, discovery, briefs and ordinances for City action.
Participate in, mediate or facilitate legal proceedings with external agencies; providing legal advice and opinion in response to issues of concern
Provide legal advice on a variety of subjects including employment, open government, environment, procurement, utility franchise, civil service, water utility and electric utility-related matters.
Coordinate and monitor the work of retained counsel.
Respond to legal inquiries on wide-ranging topics from City department heads.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- 5 – 7 years related experience in a municipality or other government entity
Licenses & Certifications
- Comprehensive knowledge of the law and ordinances applicable to the activities, duties and operations of a home rule municipal government
- Comprehensive knowledge of court procedures and practices, rules of evidence, legal principles, practices and procedures
- Basic knowledge of Texas Penal Code
- Ability to prepare cases, research data, interview witnesses and try cases in all levels of court
- Ability to address confidential information or subjects with sensitivity
Registered to practice law by the Texas Bar Association.
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.
Managing for Results
Minimum Education & Work Experience
JD in Law from an accredited institution
5 years related experience with heavy litigation
Section 1983 and governmental immunity experience
Registered to practice law by the Texas State Bar Association
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
City of Garland - 11 months ago