Job Description Summary
The Senior Assistant Director is part of the Advancement Services Department and is directly responsible for conducting complex and high quality data analysis and presenting data integral to the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of alumni, corporations, foundations, and friends of the College with special focus on international and parent constituents. Specifically responsible for initiating and managing projects related to the analysis of internal and external data with a special focus on utilizing statistical approaches to conduct data modeling projects that assist with strategic planning initiatives; and leading a team of prospect researchers to successfully deliver this value added information and analysis.
• Develops research strategy for entire Babson Alumni and Parent Base with special attention given to major gift suspects and prospects.
• Creates, implements, and monitors a system for continuous prospect updates and wealth screens while ensuring the timely dissemination of information to appropriate management and leadership staff.
• Works with various internal customers to understand their informational and business needs and conceives innovative analytical approaches to addressing business challenges.
• Assists fund-raising staff in screening, rating, and identifying prospect wealth potential.
• Creates actionable high-quality reports and graphical presentations that include insight and analysis from analytics and research findings.
• Supervises the access and gathering of data from in-house, internal sources, and on-line database systems, as well as appropriate external sources and contacts. Use this accumulated data to assess prospect’s giving capability, philanthropic tendencies and appropriate Babson contacts.
• Ensures that research reports will at all times make full use of all publicly available information effecting estimates of personal financial worth.
• Supervises a staff which will organize and edit verified and extrapolated data into comprehensive, confidential, and concise reports for use by the President, Trustees, Development staff, other volunteer solicitors and affiliates of the College.
• Develops goals, provides effective and timely feedback to direct reports, and evaluates direct report performance; builds talent through hiring, training, mentoring, and coaching.
• Utilizes statistical approaches to conduct data modeling projects.
• Establishes and documents best practices in Development research.
• Gains and maintains proficiency in the use of proprietary and internal databases as well as appropriate analytical tools.
• Reviews local, national, professional, and financial publications and periodicals, bringing important trends and new prospect data to the attention of prospect managers and Development departments.
• Assumes additional responsibilities as required.
Senior Research Associate
Assistant Director, Prospect Research
Bachelor’s Degree required.
MBA or Master’s Degree preferred.
Additional Required Skills & Abilities
• A minimum of 6+ years of professional experience in analytical, research, or information specialist role preferably in a non-profit setting
• Excellent quantitative analysis skills, attention to detail and ability to think strategically
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Knowledge of tools and techniques for collecting, synthesizing and analyzing data
• Able to work with culturally ethnically, culturally, and socially diverse students, staff, faculty, and other constituencies
• Flexibility and willingness to assume new tasks and special projects.
• Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
• Strong leadership skills
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive information and material in a discretionary manner
• Ability to work independently
May require some late evening and weekend work