Position: Senior Associate, Public Sector Development
Reports to: Director, Public Sector Development
Summary: Partners In Health is a non-profit corporation based in Boston, Massachusetts, whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Through service delivery, training, research, and advocacy, PIH works globally to bring the benefits of modern science to those in most in need, and to serve as an antidote to despair. PIH currently has programs in Haiti, Peru, Guatemala, Mexico, Russia, Rwanda, and Boston.
Position Description: The Senior Associate is a very experienced writer with demonstrated expertise in proposal writing for government and multilateral agencies. S/he will serve as a member of the Public Sector Development Team in grant writing and proposal development for public sector funders. S/he will also engage in budgeting for proposals, developing reports to donors, and researching funding opportunities. In collaboration with the Director of Public Sector Development, s/he will establish and steward relationships with donors.
Proposal Writing and Production
• Oversee major proposal development
• Have ultimate responsibility for on-time and complete submission of funding proposals. Meet all donor application requirements.
• Interact with field-based program staff to integrate program design into proposal process.
• Draft and edit proposal text
• Work with PSD colleagues, field staff, and various PIH teams to prepare proposals from early stage to final product, including accompaniment with writing content and budget development. Ensure that all proposals have full and complete monitoring and evaluation plans, risk assessments, and budget narratives.
• Develop and write grant reports to donors as well as document project progress for donor reporting, working with programs staff to develop narrative and financial content, including but not limited to data synthesis and developing charts/tables
• Monitor grant progress and communicate with donors in a timely manner when issues arise.
• Retain and increase giving from donors through best stewardship practices including responsive communication, proactive communication and donor meetings.
• As needed, direct executive and clinical leadership’s interaction with PSD donors.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge of programs by actively soliciting field updates, visiting field sites, and attending relevant information sessions.
• Ensure good stewardship of government contracts by hosting grant launches, securing financial updates of spending from the finance team, monitoring grant-funded projects, and proactively communicating changes to the donor.
Funding Opportunities Research and Donor Cultivation
• Monitor current public sector donor priorities and general international and multilateral grantmaking trends.
• Conduct research (including internet searches and international databases) to identify public sector donor prospects globally and country-specific.
• Make initial contact with donor prospects, maintain knowledge of program priorities in order to develop compelling requests, write concept notes, and meet with donor representatives as needed to secure an invitation for a proposal.
• Bachelor’s degree’ and advanced degree in related field required
• Minimum 5-7 years of related work experience
• Experience with proposal development for government agency funders.
• Excellent writing and communications skills; ability to conceptualize and articulate funding needs persuasively to potential funders.
• Ability to read and write in French preferred
• Proven success in grant writing and management, including organizational skills and management of deadlines.
• Facility with budgeting and Excel strongly desirable.
• Ability to manage complex projects from creation to completion, prioritize and work on multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate effectively with staff across departments.
• Knowledge and experience in the health care field a plus.
• Knowledge of government grants processes a plus.
• International work experience and/or international development assistance projects a plus.
• Interest in social justice and dedication to PIH mission.
• Willingness to undertake limited travel as needed
• Proficiency in French required
Partners in Health - 6 months ago