SC Johnson (SCJ) is one of the world’s leading makers of household brands. The company has operations in more than 70 countries and sells products in virtually every country around the world. Its product portfolio includes global brands such as Pledge®, Duck®, Mr. Muscle®, Windex®, Scrubbing Bubbles®, Glade®, Raid®, OFF!®, Baygon® and Ziploc®.
The company has been making great products for more than 125 years and the same family that started the company still owns and runs it today. For over a century, spanning five generations, the Johnson family has demanded the best for families everywhere.
Many of SC Johnson’s products have been, and remain, top sellers in their market categories. This product leadership is coupled with an established a long legacy of environmental responsibility, community leadership, innovation and being a great place to work. As well as accolades such as being named the fourth most innovative company in the consumer products category on Fast Company magazine’s annual Most Innovative Companies list, the company was named to Fortune Magazine’s “100 Best Places to Work” list, and Working Mother magazine regularly recognizes it as one of the "100 Best Places to Work” list, and Working Mother magazine regularly recognizes it as one of the 100 best companies for working mothers.
DTV Formulation Chemist
Candidates will be technically advanced, highly motivated, self-starters who can apply their skills to a diverse, challenging, fast paced team environment.
1. Incumbent will re-formulate existing SKUs, make appropriate product changes, lead technology advancements and lead competitive assessments which result in new consumer benefits and/or reduced cost and/or improved environmental impact of those products. They will be expected to communicate and collaborate with colleagues in a variety of diverse disciplines and functions to deliver business-building solutions
2. Improve company delivered profit margins by reducing complexity via execution of value engineering principles.
3. Develop product technologies, when appropriate, relevant to global markets
4. Facilitate RD&E technology transfer to/from/between the international subsidiaries for the implementation of harmonization & cost saving ideas
5. Scope of the position is global and focuses on all SCJ business categories.
The typical profile for this level would be an individual with a BA/BS degree in appropriate Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or a closely related technical discipline and a minimum 3 - 8 years of years of documented achievements. Individuals with advanced degrees and lesser experience would also fit.
- In-depth knowledge of the product development process and related formulation and delivery system technologies for formulated consumer products.
- Experience formulating and consumer testing various product forms and demonstrated experience working closely with fragrance houses to deliver fragrances meeting consumer and cost targets
- Knowledge of chemical sciences and application of chemistry principles. Ability to acquire, expand and implement advances in the state of the art chemical sciences and utilize expertise to contribute to successfully commercialize new ideas driving consumer and corporate value.
- Sound judgment in leading and executing development and/or commercialization of multiple complex projects
- Open and effective oral and written communication, with ability to communicate accurately and concisely to multiple levels within the company.
- Highly proactive and results oriented , with refined project management and problem solving skills
- Strong leadership, influence and cross-functional teamwork skills to effectively work across internal organization boundaries
- Knowledge of emulsion chemistry and/or formulation polymer chemistry and/or surfactant formulation.
- Utilize knowledge of experimental design (DOE) and statistics to efficiently select appropriate course(s) of action to meet business needs
- Knowledge of consumer testing techniques and execution of appropriate studies to evaluate in-use performance of products. Ability to interpret consumer test results and create relevant actionable learning
- Utilize available external resources to identify applicable new technologies and bring those technologies in house, e.g. by searching scientific and patent literature, outside contacts, suppliers, etc
- Proficient computer skills including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, MS Project.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Some minimal travel may be required
This position outline describes the principal functions, the level of knowledge typically required, and scope of the responsibility for the position. This should not, however, be construed an all-inclusive listing of requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, deemed necessary, and clearly identified via customized objective based management techniques.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
S.C.Johnson & Son - 15 months ago