Imagine what could be achieved if the best strategic and analytical minds focused their skills and energy on solving the most urgent questions facing public education in the United States. The District Management Council (DMC) is a small, fast-growing firm that assists the superintendents and CEOs of school districts and their leadership teams to dramatically improve public education for all students.
School systems are complex organizations, with some managing billions of dollars in their annual budgets, tens of thousands of staff, and hundreds of thousands of students. Making sustained, system-wide improvement requires robust strategy, disciplined execution and courageous leadership.
The District Management Council (DMC) provides school systems with superior strategic insights and tactical solutions to the most pressing challenges facing school system leaders today. In addition to direct consulting, we research and publish on best practices and develop technology solutions to help district leaders implement and sustain reform. Through our consulting, research and technology solutions, we are recognized as thought leaders in national conversations on education reform including the areas of strategic planning and resource allocation, human capital including pay for performance, special education and struggling students, and in stakeholder engagement.
Description of Position
We are recruiting Senior Associates to join our consulting team in our Boston office. The Senior Associate position offers an opportunity to work directly with respected leaders in public education and to focus on the most strategic, high impact issues that school systems face. Because we are a small and fast-growing company, there is also substantial opportunity to take on management responsibility quickly, as you demonstrate ability.
Senior Associates have a wide, evolving set of responsibilities. Typical responsibilities include :
Because we are a small, fast-growing, firm, the individual hired for this position will be a very important member of the company and will be expected to participate in all aspects of our growth and development. Senior Associates will benefit from the support, mentoring and coaching of senior team members, all of whom hold MBAs from top schools, have worked for leading private sector consultancies, and have deep experience and expertise in education.
- Cultivating, building, and managing strong client relationships based on trust, communication, and a commitment to excellent client service
- Helping develop strategy for our client school systems by collecting data, pursuing appropriate paths of analysis, developing key recommendations, and supporting the presentation of findings to clients
- Supporting the successful implementation of strategy at client school districts through project management, developing communications materials and planning (and occasionally leading) trainings
- Mentoring and coaching junior team members to maximize their effectiveness and professional growth
- Conducting primary and secondary research to expand our library of case studies, best practices and rigorous analytical frameworks designed specifically for school districts
- Providing feedback and ideas to our software solutions team as they develop technology products to embed reform in our client districts
- Working collaboratively with internal staff to ensure the continued growth and effectiveness of DMC’s programs, including our membership network and events, research and publications, software, and consulting
Qualifications & Experience
Above all else, we look for three key qualities in our team members. First is clear, structured thinking. We seek individuals who possess the curiosity and force of intellect to take complex problems, conduct rigorous analyses, and present solutions in simple and concise terms. The second quality is a passion for service. We seek to hire individuals who derive genuine pleasure from providing a level of service far beyond what is required. The third quality is drive and commitment to making a difference in public education.
Additionally, we look for the following qualifications:
- Two years of experience at a leading management or strategy consulting firm, or equivalent experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred
- Experience with and/or strong interest in education and education reform
- Superior analytical skills; demonstrated ability to quickly assess situations, identify trends, develop solutions, and translate and apply insights to a larger context
- Experience developing and managing client relationships with responsibility for deliverables and presentations
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Detail-orientation and organization, with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to accommodate travel approximately 20% time
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or physical ability.
The District Management Council - 2 years ago