The Senior (Commodities) Attorney, located in Houston, Texas, will support the efforts of Iberdrola Energy Services, LLC, with a specific focus on its energy management and energy origination businesses. The successful candidate in this position will report to the General Counsel of Iberdrola Energy Holdings, LLC,
whose office is located in Houston, Texas.
- Provide overall legal advice and assistance on negotiating and structuring energy management transactions, including gas and electricity trading transactions, mid-market origination transactions, transactions involving portfolios of market contracts, and contracted gas storage and gas transport and marketing transactions, including evaluating compliance with applicable regulatory schemes, drafting contracts and related matters, and working with outside counsel on same.
- Provide assistance to the energy management business team in ensuring compliance with internal controls and relevant state and federal regulations, including assisting in preparing, maintaining and implementing relevant OGC compliance and training programs for company personnel.
- Draft legal advisories, documents and contracts, including transactional documents and board papers.
- Provide a business sensitive, value added approach to the delivery of high quality work product and adequate legal controls, on a timely basis, to the Company's business units.
- Adhere to effective internal controls.
Preference may be given to candidates who have the following:
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
- 5+ years of experience in a corporate legal department and/or law firm, with particular focus on commodities trading transactions involving industry standard agreements (NAESB, EEI and IDSA), origination transactions and other complex energy transactions, and long-term power purchase and sale transactions.
- Understanding of legal regimes applicable to energy trading markets, including CFTC and FERC compliance.
- Working knowledge of financial, market and credit risk issues associated with energy transactions.
- Working knowledge of tariffs and rules of the various ISO control areas.
- Proven ability to identify and mitigate material legal risks.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to bring diverse interests together through clear and effective communications and an ability to listen and respond to divergent opinions.
- Must be able to draft and negotiate storage agreements and vendor master service agreements, draft permitting applications and manage legal requirements associated with the ownership, operations and development of natural gas storage facilities.
- Experience in efficiently managing outside counsel is expected as is the ability to work within a team structure
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check, references, drug screen, verification of legal right to work in the U.S., and in some cases, a credit check.
A credit check will be administered when a prospective employee will be working in Finance, Accounting, Treasury or where duties may involve handling of funds, accounts or cash.
Iberdrola Energy Holdings, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Membership in a Canadian bar and/or familiarity with cross-border commodity transactions involving Canadian counterparties.
- Membership in the Texas bar.
- Fluent in Spanish
Iberdrola Renewables - 22 months ago
IBERDROLA Renewables (formerly PPM Energy) is a real power player in the energy industry. Part of IBERDROLA's global network,...