The successful candidate will be primary counsel for Marathon's Norwegian assets and provide support for Marathon’s other International activities, including M&A, as needed. The ideal candidate will have a strong international E&P legal background and experience interpreting and applying statutory and regulatory law to E&P operations. Travel is required, as is the ability to relocate to international locations depending on future project needs.
- Provide professional legal advice to ensure that the Company, its assets and its activities are legally safeguarded, in conformity with all the applicable laws and regulations, and will not unduly expose the Company to litigation, penalties or claims.
- Prepare International Oil and Gas contracts including PSAs, JOAs, commercial agreements, and M&A documents, and advise on ongoing operations pursuant to same.
- Plan and develop solutions to existing or potential legal problems, and advise management concerning the Company’s legal rights and obligations.
- Manage outside counsel assignments and budgets, and resource in-house subject matter experts as needed.
- Advocate Marathon positions with counterparties, regulators and other stakeholders.
- Develop and implement programs and training to educate employees as to the Company's policies, procedures and legal compliance requirements, including topics such as anti-corruption, to reinforce compliance culture.
- Prepare, advise on, and assist in negotiating procurement contracts.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continually improving technical subject matter proficiency by participating in continuing legal education programs and other activities to keep informed of developments in the law and the energy industry.
- The candidate must have a law degree and be licensed to practice in the United States or the United Kingdom.
- At least 6-10 years of relevant legal experience.
- Strong E&P legal and commercial experience required.
- Collaborative working style and strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of Norwegian law preferred.
- Norwegian language skills a plus.
- Travel Required: roughly 25% but varies by project.
- Candidate must be able to relocate to international destinations depending on future project needs.
Apply for this job:
- Apply for this job online
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
- Email this opportunity to a friend
Marathon Oil - 23 months ago
Based in Houston, Texas, Marathon Oil is an independent exploration and production (E&P) with activity in North America, Europe and...