GE is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation.
The qualified individual will join the team in the Machines Mechanics Lab, which is responsible for performing mechanical design and advanced development in the area of drive train system components, system dynamics and mechanical system design and integration for rotating machinery. Essential responsibilities include the design, analysis and testing of rotating components (bearings, gears, couplings and rotors), analysis of machine dynamics and rotating structures, and the integration of rotating components into prototype electrical and turbomachinery. Applications include fossil and renewable power generation and storage, gas compression and gas/liquid pumping, electric machines and drives, and propulsion systems for land and air transport.
- Work closely with as well as lead mechanical, electrical, structural, thermal and aero engineers both at GE Global Research as well as the GE business units in the conceptual and detail design of rotating machinery
- Downselect and develop critical technologies to enable high performance rotating machines working with internal and business engineering teams as well as outside vendors and research institutes.
- Lead mechanical and interdisciplinary design efforts with responsibility for design, development and validation of rotating and stationary mechanical hardware in electrical machines and turbomachinery
- Lead procurement, build up and testing of prototype rotating machinery from the concept phase through the validation testing phase for the evaluation of mechanical, thermal and electrical performance
- Serve as a technical expert with ability to respond to short term technical issues at our business units
- Understand and follow external developments in rotating machinery technology and rotating components
- Doctorate degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Applied Mechanics, or related field of study with at least 7 years industrial experience in rotating machinery and/or rotating components design OR Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Applied Mechanics, or related field of study with at least 10 years industrial experience in rotating machinery and/or rotating components design.
- Demonstrated design expertise in turbomachinery and rotating components including conceptual and detailed design, validation, test and product implementation.
- Experience with product design constraints, manufacturing techniques and material and material processing selections in turbomachinery and electrical machines.
- Experience in conceptual design, buildup and validation of full scale rotating machinery incorporating new or experimental technology
- Demonstrated experience in conceiving, developing and carrying out experiments in rotating component hardware and transferring component level tests into full scale hardware solutions
- Demonstrated interpersonal, leadership and communication skills in a global team environment
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Masters level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- d support structural design experience
- Component and sub-system Finite Element Analysis
- Experience with materials and manufacturing techniques used in rotating components including alloys and coatings as well as grinding, finishing and hardening methods.
- Experience in rotating machine design in the power generation, propulsion and/or oil and gas sectors
- Srong interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work across all functions/levels as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Section 19 Job
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF SECTION 19 OF THE FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE ACT.
Apply to job
Save to cart
At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Developing people is how we have succeeded across industries...