The Department of Finance is seeking a Senior Budget Director to support the Assistant Commissioner for Fiscal Services and Purchasing, with the overall financial administration of the agency. Under the direction of the Assistant Commissioner the selected candidate will be responsible for providing financial support in various areas of the agency. Duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Leading DOF’s overall budget planning and forecast processes for PS and OTPS expenditures.
• Developing and preparing monthly financial plan reporting and presentations for senior management.
• Providing analytical support as required to substantiate budgeting and forecasting projections.
• Recommending and implementing process changes to improve forecasting accuracy, strengthen internal controls, and enhance reporting capabilities.
• Working in collaboration with Procurement, Contracts, Accounts Payable and other key constituents to improve operating efficiency within the agency.
• Analyzing and interpreting revenue and expenditure variance reports for management.
• Preparing ad-hoc reports and presentations to facilitate decision making and cost studies.
• Supervising the work of staff analysts.
• Ensuring the City’s and DOF’s financial policies, rules and regulations are adhered to.
• Participating on cross-functional teams to solve agency issues.
• Assisting on special projects as required.
• Act for the Assistant Commissioner in her absence.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A master's degree from an accredited college in economics, finance, accounting, business or public administration, human resources management, management science, operations research, organizational behavior, industrial psychology, statistics, personnel administration, labor relations, psychology, sociology, human resources development, political science, urban studies or a closely related field, and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: working with the budget of a large public or private concern in budget administration, accounting, economic or financial administration, or fiscal or economic research; in management or methods analysis, operations research, organizational research or program evaluation; in personnel or public administration, recruitment, position classification, personnel relations, employee benefits, staff development, employment program planning/administration, labor market research, economic planning, social services program planning/evaluation, or fiscal management; or in a related area. 18 months of this experience must have been in an executive, managerial, administrative or supervisory capacity. Supervision must have included supervising staff performing professional work in the areas described above; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and four years of professional experience in the areas described in "1" above, including the 18 months of executive, managerial, administrative or supervisory experience, as described in "1" above.
• Expert knowledge of budgeting and accounting methodology.
• High degree of proficiency in Excel (power user), Word, PowerPoint.
• Must be detail-oriented, accurate, and possess good interpretive skills.
• Demonstrated initiative, good verbal skills, and the ability to tailor a presentation to its intended audience.
• Must be responsive; possess effective people skills; and have the ability to work with employees at all levels throughout the agency.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Cick the "Apply Now" button.
Unless otherwise indicated, all positions require a five-day work week.
1 Centre St., Manhattan
Current location but could be subject to change.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
NYC Careers - 16 months ago