SANDAGs ARJIS Division develops and maintains a complex information network that allows real-time criminal data to be shared among 82 local, state, and federal criminal justice agencies. The information is used for tactical planning, investigations, and crime analysis. Providing shared access to this information increases the collaboration among law enforcement jurisdictions, improves the overall effectiveness of the regional criminal justice system, and helps to address and anticipate public safety issues to improve the quality of life for the San Diego Region. Examples of recent and upcoming projects include development, implementation, and management of the Enterprise ARJIS System which is comprised of several Web-based applications to include: mapping dashboard and geo-fencing, facial recognition, reporting, and other applications and tools for tactical and analytical queries and analyses.
Senior Business Analyst Role
The Senior Business Analyst will coordinate functions such as budget preparation and administration, fiscal and business planning, revenue collection, contracts and grant administration, and project management to support the ARJIS annual work program and public safety initiatives.
This position is ideal for an experienced business professional with a strong interest in furthering their expertise in a broad range of administrative, budgetary, and procurement responsibilities. We anticipate significant career development will occur while working on the types of duties and responsibilities described below and through mentoring and close collaboration with senior staff. Examples of primary responsibilities include:
- Perform a broad range of complex administrative duties to support the day-to-day operation of ARJIS; serve as a resource to team members to provide administrative, budgetary, and procurement advice and resolve problems; coordinate with other SANDAG departments on behalf of ARJIS.
- Coordinate the management and administration of ARJIS Enterprise applications; provide user support, account oversight, needs assessment, and assist with troubleshooting problems; track software licenses and associated billing.
- Participate in the development of operating goals and objectives; recommend, implement, and administer strategic initiatives, business methods, and operational procedures designed to achieve the overall mission, goals, and objectives of ARJIS and enhance operations.
- Coordinate the development of the annual work program, business plans, and operating budgets; monitor budgets and recommend approval of expenditures; coordinate the collection of ARJIS program revenues from member agencies; ensure adherence to project funding requirements; prepare budget revisions as required.
- Coordinate contract and grant administration including proposal preparation, development of budget, scope, schedule, and deliverables, contract negotiation, financial control and compliance, and external liaison with funding sources and/or contracting agencies.
- Prepare regular budget status reports and special analyses for management; present recommendations for changes and/or improvements to budget adherence and monetary control.
- Collect, compile, and analyze program activity data; develop and present comprehensive statistical and narrative program reports and evaluations to management, boards, committees, and clients.
- Develop strategies for identifying and generating funding and/or resource opportunities; represent ARJIS at the local, regional, and national level and develop effective networks and partnerships with key funding agencies to promote service development and generation of contracts/grants.
- Use project management techniques to coordinate multiple projects and programs; establish project milestones and ensure projects progress on schedule, within the prescribed budget, and at a consistently high level of quality.
- Ensure change and risk management of all projects are identified; assess the potential risks to project success, ensure risks are mitigated, and contingencies are identified.
- Provide direct supervision of staff including assigning work tasks, setting priorities, training, and performance management.
- Provide complex administrative staff support for SANDAGs Public Safety Committee, the Chiefs/Sheriffs Management Committee, and related working groups; assist with the preparation of agendas, reports, and meeting summaries; participate in the development of staff recommendations to committees/working groups.
- Create, produce, and deliver a range of promotional, educational, and informational presentations, and/or resource materials related to ARJIS activities and initiatives.
Experience and Qualifications
Numerous factors contribute to an individuals ability to be successful in any given role. For this position, we are searching for a detail-oriented individual experienced in all aspects of project management and program administration. Superior organizational capabilities and communication skills are required, as is experience working collaboratively with a variety of individuals and organizations to coordinate and deliver projects.
The minimum education, training, and experience qualifications include a bachelors degree with major course work in business management, public administration, information systems, finance, or a related field, and a minimum of five years of recent experience managing and administering complex technology projects, preferably in a public safety or operational environment. A Masters degree is desirable.
The following information describes the specific types of career experiences that are most relevant to this position:
- Knowledge of organizational, business management, and strategic planning practices as applied to delivery of programs and services; demonstrated ability to evaluate, recommend, and implement effective operational procedures that lead to significant improvement in the delivery of programs and services; experience with public safety technical programs and services is desirable.
- Knowledge of fiscal management principles and procedures; experience developing comprehensive annual work programs and operational budgets; ability to monitor and control expenditures and ensure adherence to funding requirements.
- Demonstrated experience with all aspects of contract and grant management including researching funding opportunities, proposal and budget development, and reporting.
- Experience using computerized financial and/or accounting applications; ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections.
- Experience providing technical customer support for a high-volume enterprise system; experience responding to customer calls and/or system error messages, troubleshooting problems and applying corrective solutions, referring to appropriate technical support, and escalating when necessary.
- Experience with the development of RFPs, scopes of work, budgets, and schedules, consultant selection, and contract management; demonstrated effective project management techniques including managing consultants to ensure that projects are completed on time, within budget, and at a high level of quality.
- Demonstrated ability to enhance program funding and grant opportunities through business partnerships.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage several concurrent projects at various stages of completion; ability to establish and maintain priorities and work independently.
- Experience coordinating project teams, and supervising and evaluating the work of professional and technical employees; experience providing administrative and professional leadership and direction for assigned programs.
- Experience staffing committees and/or working groups, including the preparation of agendas, reports, and meeting summaries.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including agency and other government officials, law enforcement and public safety representatives, community groups, the public, and media representatives.
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively, both orally and in writing, to a broad range of audiences; ability to prepare clear and concise administrative, technical, and informational reports; ability to prepare and deliver presentations and recommendations regarding various program elements to upper management, elected officials, and other audiences.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with the Windows operating system and Microsoft Office applications especially Word and Excel; experience with project management software (preferably MS Project) is highly desirable.
- The final candidate selected for this position must successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check in compliance with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the California Department of Justice (CalDOJ) requirements regarding the use of the California Law Enforcement Telecommunication System (CLETS). Periodic re-checking of criminal background history will be a condition of employment.
Salary and Benefits
SANDAG rewards the efforts of its employees with a comprehensive compensation package. Competitive salaries are supplemented with a flexible offering of health, financial security, and time-off benefits to meet the work and life needs of employees and their families.
This Senior Business Analyst position has an annual salary range of $64,963 to $103,940 per year; the starting salary will depend on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Our benefits include traditional health, dental, and vision insurance as well as employee assistance, wellness, and work/life balance programs. Retirement and financial security benefits are provided through a pension plan and deferred compensation program. And to support the need to rest and rejuvenate, employees are provided with a bank of paid time off in addition to paid holidays.
How to Apply
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this position by completing a SANDAG Employment Application form. Resumes, cover letters, and work samples may be submitted in addition to the Employment Application but are not a substitute for this document.
The Employment Application can be downloaded in PDF format from the SANDAG Web site. Alternatively, a copy can be requested by calling (619) 699-1900 or e-mailing email@example.com . Completed applications and related materials can be submitted via e-mail, fax, regular mail, courier, or delivered by hand. See our Careers / How to Apply Web page for additional information.
Applications for the Senior Business Analyst position will be accepted until 5 p.m. on Friday, April 5, 2013.
Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability should state their needs in writing when submitting an application.
Additional Application Requirement
To help us further evaluate the skills and experience of individuals interested in this position, applicants are asked to respond to the Supplemental Questions below. The information can be up to 500 words per question and should be submitted with the Employment Application. This is considered a required component of the application; applications received without a response will be screened out of the selection process.
1. Describe a project you managed that had contract, funding, cost, and/or scheduling difficulty. What steps did you take to address those problems?
2. Describe the process you would use and elements you would include in developing a multi-year program/project budget.
Candidate Selection and Notification
Following the close date for applications, candidates will receive written confirmation that their application has been received. The hiring manager will begin reviewing and evaluating applications within a few days of the close date. Based on this evaluation, the best qualified candidates will be invited to continue in the selection process. All candidates will receive e-mail notification as to the final outcome of their application.
The SANDAG Web site contains a wealth of information about our various project and program areas. The Careers section of the site lists all of our current Job Openings as well as information on how to apply for positions and Frequently Asked Questions about our recruitment process.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, applicants hired by SANDAG must show acceptable proof of identity and evidence of authorization to work in the United States.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) is comprised of 18 city and county governments which serve as a forum for regional...