EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
The International Development Division has an opening for a Senior Business Development Associate,
reporting to the Director of New Business Development, in Washington DC.
The Senior Business Development Associate is a member of the Business Development Department supporting the business development efforts of the International Development Division (IDD) at reports to the Business Development Director. S/he focuses specifically on proposals related to Global Health, Adolescent Health, and/or Behavior Change. S/he helps take a new business opportunity through the pipeline from identification to submission of proposal. S/he focuses on overall planning, writing selected proposal/pre-proposal pieces, and managing the internal team and partner inputs for bid efforts, and also assists in broader bid preparation and production processes.
Essential Functions: The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies and procedures.
Management and Leadership
• Works closely with IDD Directors to successfully coordinate and manage major proposal efforts, including identification of needed proposal team members, timeline and action planning, and management of proposal components
• Oversees and ensures all elements of a successful proposal bid:
• Manages proposal development efforts of significant complexity, diversity, strategic impact, and scope
• Manages proposal development teams in planning for proposal submissions, and adherence to schedules, resource requirements, and quality standards
• Performs analysis of RFP/A requirements and has lead or supportive responsibility for coordinating select proposals (including preparation of outlines, tailored checklists, instructions, and templates)
• Determines resource needs; arranges appropriate internal or subcontracted services
• Facilitates evolution of proposal strategy, such as competitive analysis, developing win themes and technical approach, identifying needed personnel, and selecting teaming partners
• Negotiates with sub-recipients (international and/or local)
• Manages proposal team through internal review processes, and bid decisions
• Ensures vital flow of communication and task management within proposal team
• Oversees or supports final technical proposal production
• Ensures key and other staff identification and selection
• Supports and engages in recruitment as necessary, including identifying key staff through networks and searches
• As necessary, helps support cost/business proposal development as appropriate
Writing / Editing
• Writes expressions of interest, corporate capability statements, personnel and management sections, past performance references, biographical sketches and other proposal components; strategically enhances/positions resume content
• Edits and coordinates technical proposal sections as they develop (including managing file traffic/turnaround time, and close liaison with technical staff)
• Reviews and edits submissions from partners, ensuring their inputs meet specified requirements and expected level of quality
Other Key Job Aspects
• Researches and analyzes funding trends among key donors/clients
• Carries out business intelligence research to help position EDC for future bids and proposals
• Works closely with Regional Directors and BD Director to maintain timely data on upcoming solicitations and helps with upkeep of system
• Liaises with other international development organizations and international donors to build positive relationships
• Develops depth of understanding of IDD staff and projects, and helps facilitate proactive and responsive business development department support
• Represents the organization in various public venues (i.e. conferences, workshops) as appropriate and as called upon
QUALIFICATIONS - This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Specific requirements:
• Master’s degree required, preferably MPH or related qualification
• 8–10 years related experience in preparing proposals for donor-funded projects in international development, particularly in the area of Global Health
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills and aptitude for details
• Excellent writing, editing and formatting skills
• Proven ability to successfully manage the full proposal development process
• Demonstrated ability to lead and delegate and work well in a team environment with program and technical staff, as well as with outside collaborators
• Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills including good public speaking and presentation skills
• Demonstrated knowledge of proposal rules, regulations and processes
• Ability to maintaining proposal quality and ensure total proposal compliance with RFA/RFP
• Demonstrated knowledge of donor budget process
• Demonstrated skill in managing communications with partners and donors
• Must be able to work under tight deadlines and with multiple/simultaneous bid efforts.
• Background in international public health, education and/or youth
• Languages a plus
• Advanced computer skills required including Microsoft Office.
CONTACT: No phone calls, please
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and has Affirmative Action Plans for Women and Minorities and for Disabled Workers and Veterans. EDC is a smoke-free workplace.
Education Development Center - 16 months ago