This position is responsible for work of considerable difficulty in managing and supervising the Water Supply/Engineering Section of the Municipal Water System, a group of engineering and/or technical staff performing work related to the operations and maintenance of the Municipal Water System. It reports to the Division Manager of the Environmental Services Department/ Municipal Water System. Duties include managing the Capital Improvement Program, Water Supply, Water Quality, Water Conservation and construction activities of the San Jose Municipal Water System. Incumbents are responsible for preparing the annual capital budget and ensuring that projects are completed on time and on budget in accordance with AWWA Standards. Appointments to this position require disclosure of outside investments, real property interests, income, and business positions.
Additional Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Knowledge of water principles and water chemistry
- Knowledge of SCADA telemetry system
- Knowledge of Federal and State regulations pertaining to potable and non-potable water
- Knowledge of principles and practices of civil engineering
- Knowledge of hydraulic, mechanical, electrical, structural, geological and sanitary engineering as they relate to water works projects
- Knowledge of the modern methods and techniques as applied in construction, operations, and maintenance of water works
- Knowledge of the strengths, properties and uses of materials of engineering construction equipment and materials
- Knowledge of the common descriptions of real property and knowledge of valuation methods, procedures and terminology
- Knowledge of Capital and Operating Budget preparation and maintenance
- Knowledge of management and supervision principles
- Ability to prepare a water master plan, a water operations plan, and a water quality monitoring plan
- Ability to perform difficult design and mapping work
- Ability to outline and perform difficult technical research and to make thorough analyses of engineering and financial data and reports
- Ability to plan, assign, lay-out and effectively supervise and direct exacting reports and recommendations
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with contractors, developers, consultants, administrators and the public
- Ability to effectively present ideas orally and in writing
-Possession of a California State Water Treatment Operator Grade 2 Certificate or higher issued by the California Department of Health Services is desirable.
-Possession of a California State Water Distribution Operator Grade 3 Certificate or higher issued by the California Department of Health Services is desirable.
- Ability to obtain California State Water Distribution Operator Grade 5 within one year of appointment
These qualifications are typically required. An equivalent combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be substituted.)
Education and Experience: Any combination of training and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited College or University with a Bachelor's degree in the required professional discipline and five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience.
Possession of a Certificate of Registration in the discipline of Civil Engineering.
Possession of a valid California's driver's license.
Position-specific requirements for Civil Engineer:
General knowledge of community outreach procedures and practices, including knowledge of public participation for environmental clearances and the ability to coordinate these activities.
Knowledge of hydraulic, mechanical, electrical, structural, geological and sanitary engineering as they relate to public works projects.
Knowledge of common descriptions of real property and knowledge of valuation methods, procedures and terminology.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise: Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Analytical Thinking: Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; identifies a set of features, parameters, or considerations to take into account, collects and analyzes data, uses logic and intuition to arrive at conclusions and recommendations.
- Communication Skills: Communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
- Computer Skills: Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
- Leadership: Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, encourages and rewards risk-taking, allowing others to learn from mistakes.
- Supervision: Sets effective long and short-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources.
- Management: Evaluates priorities to ensure the 'true' top priorities are handled satisfactorily; sets clear goals for the employees and the work unit.
- Problem Solving: Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Team Work & Interpersonal Skills: Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Valuing and Leveraging Diversity: Recruits, develops and retains a diverse, high quality workforce; shows respect for people regardless of race, gender, disability, lifestyle, or viewpoint; actively seeks out different viewpoints and leverages the benefits of different perspectives.
-Fiscal Management: Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan; complies with administrative controls over funds, contracts, and procurements.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, resume and answers to the job-specific questions. You must answer all job-specific questions and complete the Education/Work History section of the application in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the positions will be forwarded to the interview phase of the selection process. This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
E-MAIL WILL BE THE DEFAULT METHOD OF CORRESPONDENCE WITH APPLICANTS. TO ENSURE THAT YOU RECEIVE TIMELY NOTIFICATIONS REGARDING YOUR APPLICATION STATUS FOR THIS RECRUITMENT, PLEASE ENTER A PRIMARY E-MAIL ADDRESS WHEN SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions in the online application process:
1. Do you possess a Certificate of Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer issued by the State of California?
2. Do you possess a current, valid driver's license authorizing the operation of a motor vehicle in the State of California?
3. Do you have a minimum of five(5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in managing or leading a team with the majority of their work in the field of Water Supply & Engineering? If yes, please describe your experience.
4. Do you possess a California State Water Treatment Operator Grade 2 Certificate or higher issued by the California Department of Health Services? If yes, please provide certificate number and expiration date.
5. Do you possess a California State Water Distribution Operator Grade 3 Certificate or higher issued by the California Department of Health Services? If yes, please provide certificate number and expiration date.
6. Do you have experience in designing water distribution systems? If yes, summarize the breadth and depth of that experience.
7. Do you have experience preparing a capital improvement budget? If yes, please discuss your experience along with size and complexity of the budget you dealt with.
8. Do you have experience in managing a potable water quality program? If yes, please describe your experience related to compliance with Department of Public Health regulations, reporting, sampling, trouble-shooting water quality issues in the distribution system, and customer support.
9. Do you have experience dealing with the public, business representatives, governmental agencies and senior management within your organization? If yes, please explain and be specific with the types of situations involved for each and include the mode of communication used with emphasis on any reports developed or presentations made.
10. Do you have experience managing a group in a result-oriented setting? If yes, please describe your experience and identify the two or three most critical tools needed to achieve success.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact My Truong via e-mail at email@example.com.
Employees in this classification are represented by the Association of Engineers and Architects (AEA), IFPTE, Local 21.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. If you do not receive the confirmation, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
City of San Jose - 22 months ago