The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector investment arm of the World Bank Group, pursues its mission of creating opportunities for people to escape poverty by promoting private sector development through investment and advisory services. IFC's Sustainable Business Advisory (SBA) Business Line works with firms in manufacturing, agribusiness, services, and infrastructure to contribute to the creation of inclusive, environmentally sustainable, and efficient markets in developing countries.
Clean Energy Specialists within SBA work to increase investment flows by demonstrating the commercial viability of and removing specific barriers to the scale-up of renewable energy technologies that reduce green house gas (GHG) emissions and increase access to modern energy services for the poor.
In support of IFC’s growing commitment in this area, SBA seeks to fulfill a Senior Clean Energy Specialist position.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Senior Clean Energy Specialist will be part of the SBA Global department, reporting to the Head for Clean Energy and Resource Efficiency. S/he will support a portfolio of advisory programs or program components while also providing technical, energy market expertise and strategic insight to other teams across the Corporation. More specifically s/he will be accountable for:
- Provide technical and market expertise to regional teams in developing, designing and delivering a growing Clean Energy program across the globe.
- Conduct business development for IFC’s Clean Energy advisory program together with other relevant regional advisory and/or investment teams.
- Provide quality assurance on regional Clean Energy advisory projects.
- Support the Clean Energy global team in strategy and program development, program monitoring and evaluation, identification of staffing needs, coach and mentor junior staff
- Support IFC’s thought leadership agenda in clean energy as appropriate, e.g. developing technical pieces, lessons learned, and analytical tools as well as organizing related outreach and awareness raising events.
- Support product development, including developing and continuously refining the conceptual basis and analytical tools that teams across IFC are using in designing and delivering projects related to clean energy and energy access.
- Actively contribute to fundraising efforts for clean energy programs across IFC to support the growth of the clean energy practice area.
The successful candidate is a determined and perseverant “go-getter”, with a positive attitude, dedication to excellence, patience for detail and the ability to translate detailed information into broad strategy and back into individual workplans or actions. While s/he would need to be able to work independently and take initiative, s/he would have to be a strong team player, able to take leadership as well as supporting roles. S/he handles a variety of activities concurrently in a high-pressure environment and delivers consistently. S/he is open-minded, able to work in a fast-paced and multicultural environment and is used to exploring links between fields, disciplines and people which would not usually be related. S/he has the ability to work with colleagues in a constructive manner. S/he encourages innovation and knowledge sharing in an open, team-based environment; creates an environment conducive to teamwork, continuous learning and innovation; s/he builds alliances and promotes open communication and collaboration to achieve joint objectives. More specifically, the selection criteria will be:
Masters level education in business, engineering, finance, economics, or related subject, and technical skills that allow demonstrating knowledge of a broad range of both clean energy and social/commercial issues related to the energy agenda.
Ten (10) or more years of relevant operational experience and proven performance in the energy sector and/or clean energy sector, including hands-on involvement in project design, appraisal and management
Outstanding track-record of proven, results oriented performance/achievement
Experience with projects in or at the interface with the private sector a must; experience in IFC operations or in investment operations of a similar kind a plus
Dynamic individual, with track record in identifying hidden market opportunities, structuring interventions and implementing them. Successful experience managing relationships, resolving differences, and achieving successful outcomes among multiple and diverse set of stakeholders
Excellent communication skills, in terms of clarity and ability to listen and respond to counterparts and be truly understood as well as understand others concerns and ideas; professional maturity and business judgment. Ability to synthesize multiple/complex messages and to identify appropriate key points for different audiences; fluency in English and ideally other languages.
Applications must be submitted online. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Candidates can check the status of their applications by visiting www.ifc.org/careers.
IFC - 18 months ago
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in developing countries....