Employees in this classification are in the senior position of this career track and provide patient care management to an assigned clinic in the areas of clerical and clinical duties. In clinical setting, the employee receives direct supervision from physician or nursing supervisor in either oral or written form. In office, the employee receives direct supervision from department administrator. May supervise other Medical Assistants, clerical staff and student positions. Work is performed under usual office and clinic conditions. May be stressful when working under emergency conditions.
Position Specific Qualifications:
- Prepares patients for various types of examinations, procedures, treatment, includes appropriate prepping, draping and gowning of patient.
- Arranges for hospital and diagnostic services for patients. Communicates all pertinent information to patient, to include discharge instructions.
- Assists physicians with examinations and minor procedures, as a scrub or circulator.
- Ensures exam rooms are neat, clean and orderly at all times.
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology
- Excellence organizational leadership skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with physicians, patients, co-workers, and outside medical entities
- Problem solving skills
- Takes vital signs to include: patient’s height, blood pressure, weight, respiration, pulse, and temperature and records in patient’s medical record chart. Also documents medical and surgical history, allergies, and medications.
- Practices appropriate sterile scrub technique in all specialty rooms (minor surgery and endoscopy)
- Wound care, to include: changing, packings, dressings, suture/staple removals and changing of ostomy bags. Provide instructions to patients.
- Collects specimens/cultures and transport to lab for testing.
- Assigns clinical duties to clinical assistant and nursing assistants to include triaging, vitals, hospital rounds, etc.
- Attends meetings to include quality improvement, clinical operation committee meetings, supervisor meetings, etc., as needed.
- Schedules meetings, with subordinate clinical staff to discuss clinical issues and problem solving.
- Supervision of Medical and Nursing Assistants in the absence of Head Nurse, to include, approving leave requests, approving time sheets, disciplinary actions and guidance.
A minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent. Graduated from a certified program for medical assistants.
Certified Medical Assistant certification by an approved accredited certifying medical agency.
A minimum of three years directly related experience.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Familiar with use of equipment and instrumentation used in procedural rooms (minor surgery and endoscopy)
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University HSC - El Paso
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Documented completion of required CEU’s to maintain certification. Lack of current certification will cause termination. Inspection of documentation is at the discretion of administrator.
2/3 of time: Stand; Walk; Use hands to finger, handle, feel; Talk or hear.
Weight to be lifted or force be exerted
Lift up to 10 pounds-Under 1/3 of time
Lift up to 25 pounds-Under 1/3 of time
Exposure to the following environmental conditions
< 1/3 of time: Work moving mechanical parts; Fumes or airborne particles; Toxic or caustic chemicals; Electrical shock risk.
Hourly Pay Range
10.69 - 15.16
Monthly Pay Range
1852.93 - 2627.73
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of the Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity Employers and employ without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or other protected classes.
Texas Tech University - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard